Rear Brake Cylinders

doctee

Hi All
       Just checked rear wheel bearings and the hub nut had come loose (on both sides many thanks Pete Lewis for the advice, good call Pete), I will order two new hub nuts, the hub nut torque settings are 100 lbft. I have a Dewalt electric hammer gun, would it be alright to tighten the hub nut using the hammer gun as  my torque wrench dosen't go up to 100 lbft.
The reason the handbrake wasn't working properly was due to both rear slave cylinders leaking, when I tried to order the slave cylinders there was 2 - 3 different sizes how do I tell which ones are fitted to my car (I have discs on the front).
many thanks
doctee

GWC1208 (3/4") I think.
GWC1202 (5/8") if you had drums at the front.

If in doubt order your part over the phone rather than online and then tell them which car you have and they'll sort out the correct part.

Ok I need help here.  I am installing Disk's on the Herald I am restoring.  Do I need different rear brake cylinders than those on a all drum car?

As for torque:  In this case you might be OK if your gun is in the 100ft range.  I would never use a hammer air or electric for things like head or bottom end bolts.

Goody wrote:
Ok I need help here.  I am installing Disk's on the Herald I am restoring.  Do I need different rear brake cylinders than those on a all drum car?

Hi Bill,
3/4" rear cylinders(GWC1208) are standard for cars with (factory fitted) front disc brakes. The same size was regularly used on drum braked Heralds after the 948. There are two other common sizes of rear wheel cylinders, 0.7" and 5/8". If you're fitting new ones in any case it won't be a problem, but best to check if re-using those already on the car. Don't rely on casting marks on the cylinder body to determine the bore, aftermarket cylinders often use the same casting, bored out to different dimensions.
Cheers,
Bill.

All three types are identical in terms of mountings. Which size gets used is all a matter of balance, no point uprating the rear brake effort if it puts an unfavourable bias to the back brakes. I've always been happy with the factory setup, so I put everything back that way,
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived