Bodywork Steel thickness

Jonny-Jimbo

Good morning all,

I have some rust repairs I need to do to a bonnet and body tub I have - of course it's mainly the arches that need work, and a small patch on one floor.

Can anyone tell me what gauge of steel the Triumph bodies were made from? I want to try to make the repairs as invisible as possible by flush welding them in rather than overlapping. Anyone know? I have been told 20 gauge, but I want to get a few more opinions before buying any steel.

Thanks.

Cheers Colin,

When I was at Ginetta I did re-purpose some Disco 1 inner wing to be steering rack mounts on a Custom we were building. The shapes were exactly when I needed.

In the end I have bought a 2x1m sheet of 0.9mm steel which was fairly cheap and will be posted directly to my workshop, so ready for me to chop up soon! I'm not too keen on re-purposing old panels when it's going to be on show as you have to do so much cleaning up work it's not worth it. On the steering mount, it was hidden behind the dash so could just leave it in Disco white from where it was cut from the donor.

I enjoy fabrication work, so if I need to hole-saw stuff to make it suit my purposes I enjoy that. I also have a sheet metal guillotine now so can just chop away to my hearts content!

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo

I enjoy fabrication work, so if I need to hole-saw stuff to make it suit my purposes I enjoy that. I also have a sheet metal guillotine now so can just chop away to my hearts content!

Yeah me too. My metal cutting I did with my many grinders and a good pair of Gillbows But have been away from my trade and this stuff so now cutting with Gillbows is far too hard on my nice soft clean weak hands. SOOOO to get back into this stuff I have just bought myself a portable hydraulic hole puncher with a very comprehensive set of dies. A set of dimple dies for use with said hole puncher (might start fabricating roll cage gussets to sell on ebay) but my first hole and dimple projects is to lighten FURTHER my two alloy Kirkey race seats), a plasma cutter, a guillotine and a Very heavy duty small (2ft) pan folder so my folding over pieces of angle are now over.

Laurence