Srings and wheel bearings

Pete TR7

Been down to Somerset to do some work on the TR7 this weekend, first to sort out the suspension and second to try and find the source of the high speed vibration problem.

I have not been happy with the uprated springs since I put them on last year (I got the car back on the road in September), ride too firm, front too high and rear too low. So this weekend I swapped back to the original springs. Although I ran out of time for a road test I am pleased with the result so far. The car height is now even all round and the car looks right. Bouncing the car I cannot tell the difference between the springs so I think the reason the front was very soft was that the the front shocks did not do anything.

So onto the wheel bearings, I have carried out the following checks.

Road wheels and drums removed 2nd gear selected to stop the prop from turning. I could hear and feel a distinct clicking noise when rotating the halfshaft on both sides like a roughness, first thought was this must be the wheel bearing but I am not sure.

Second test was to put the car in neutral and secure one wheel, rotate the other and then do this with the other wheel. I thought the doing this would tell me which side has a problem. The clicking was still there on both sides but less pronounced.

So I am not sure what I have found, is this just a feature of the rear axle or are are both wheel bearings failing?

I know one way the find out is the remove the halfshaft and examine the bearings, but I wondered what others thought first?

Springs and dampers should be matched. No point in putting stiffer springs with the standard dampers.
How uprated are the springs (rate) and what dampers are you using?

As for the rear bearings, put the wheels back on and grab the top an bottom of the wheel  and see if you can feel any play when you move it in and out.
Clicking might be caused by soem play in the differential, any back lash or whine when driving?

As an afterthought what axle do you have on the car, if it's the semi-floating (5-speed) take the rear cover off and inspect the differential thoroughly (CWP and differential gears).
Also look at the bottom of the axle casing, maybe you’ll find something like the item on the right ...

... in which case you have a problem with the differential gears.
It’s one of the differential gears’ thrust bearings, and it should look like the item in the bag.

Hi Beans,

As you may have guessed the rear are avo but not for long, front shocks are KYB, springs were the standard upgrade 200lb from S&S.

The problem I am trying to solve is a high pitch vibration at around 65mph that disappears at just over 70mph.  The vibration is felt through the seat and gearstick.  It wasn't there before I upgaded the suspension and fitted polybushes.

The diff feels good with very little play, no whine or clunk on take up (unlike the Spitfire).  The car is a late Solihull built DHC.

It has been sugeested I replace the gearbox mounting rubber.  The oil in the dif was replaced when I got the car.

Pete

Stiffening up the suspension will highlight small imperfections in the suspension like wheel imbalance, prop shaft imbalance or wear in CV joints etc.
So do check everything is in proper condition.
As for the gearbox mounting rubber only replace it if it is worn or damaged by oil.

Thanks Beans, I think the polybushes have revealed the problem.  It will be a few weeks before I can get down to the car again.

I couldn't find any problem with the prop or play with the pinion bearing, just this noise when I turn the axles.

Hi Beans,

A local small garage I use when I dont have time changed the oil, it was when I just got the car and was very unfamiliar with it, so didn't examine the axle.

I think the clicking I hear is normal and the sound of the planetary gears, am I correct?  If so the problem is somewhere else.

Someone near to where the car is (some 55miles from me) has a pit and I am thinking about putting over that to get a better view (wish I had a lift like you get access to)

No harm to check if there are some loose parts in the casing.
It also enables you to check the general condition of the gears.
My axle, from which the damaged bearing came, was from a low mileage car which didn’t have any strange sounds at all.

Archived