Front wheel bearing replacement

joewilliams

My 1967 1200 failed it's MOT with excessive play in the front wheel bearings (and a list of advisories that took up several pages!).

I've ordered new bearings and am preparing myself for the job this weekend.

Is it as (relatively) simple as it looks, or am I going to be swearing and running around borrowing tools?

The bearings may just need adjusting, if they spin smooth then thats probably all they need, but a quick inspection is worthwhile (I had some that spun fine, but the cages had disintergrated and I was lucky to have discovered this before a disaster)
The tricky bit (and it isn't hard) is to get the old bearings out, not the races, but the bit they run on. I found a long drift (bolt, 4 inch nail with end flattened etc) works a treat, but you need to find the slot in the hub, buried in grease etc.
Also get grease into the bearings thoroughly and get plenty in there when you put it all back together. Do the hub nut up, spin, tighten and keep repeating until no play, but the hub spins freely. Splitpin in, cap on, take the car for a short spin with lots of turns, then jack the car up and check/adjust. You may need to do this again, on one car I adjusted them about 5 times, usually just the once.

Have fun
Clive

Archived