Tightening My Wheel Bearing

SteveSpit

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help, I have play in my front wheel bearing. If I push againt the top of the wheel with my knee it moves. I was wondering if it is possible to remove the wheel and tighten the bearing, or is it a case of replacement?

Its possible whip the wheel off and you'll see a cap in the centre.Prise it off and you'll see a castellated nut and split pin.Remove pin and turn nut until hub starts to bind,then back off to the nearest point that you can get the pin through again.Check the hub turns freely,replace cap and wheel then check for play.

Before doing this make sure theres no play anywhere else.....

I think that right, its how I do mine.. :-/

The front wheel bearings are the taper type and yes they are adjustable. If you are confident in working on your car then the front hubs would also benefit from re-greasing which means taking the hub off the stub axle, which in turn means romoving the brake caliper from the suspension upright. If you are not confident or you know that the suspension was recently greased then just adjust the play. Jack up the car, Take off the wheel, prise off the little domed shaped cover in the middle of the hub and you'll find a castleated nut with a split pin through it. Adjustment is by tightening the nut to take up the play and then backing it off slightly, there should be a very small amount of play, the manual says between 3 and 5 thou (inches). Replace the split pin with a new one before replacing the domed cover and wheel.

Before you do this though, do check that the play is actually in the wheel bearings, you could also have a worn top ball joint or worn trunnion/trunnion bushes. To do this jack up the car, remove the weel and check whether the play is between the hub and the suspension upright (best place to see this is look for lateral movement between the disc and caliper). If there isn't then check the trunnion at the bottom of the upright and the ball joint at the top for play.

cook1e wrote:
The front wheel bearings are the taper type and yes they are adjustable. If you are confident in working on your car then the front hubs would also benefit from re-greasing which means taking the hub off the stub axle, which in turn means romoving the brake caliper from the suspension upright. If you are not confident or you know that the suspension was recently greased then just adjust the play. Jack up the car, Take off the wheel, prise off the little domed shaped cover in the middle of the hub and you'll find a castleated nut with a split pin through it. Adjustment is by tightening the nut to take up the play and then backing it off slightly, there should be a very small amount of play, the manual says between 3 and 5 thou (inches). Replace the split pin with a new one before replacing the domed cover and wheel.

Before you do this though, do check that the play is actually in the wheel bearings, you could also have a worn top ball joint or worn trunnion/trunnion bushes. To do this jack up the car, remove the weel and check whether the play is between the hub and the suspension upright (best place to see this is look for lateral movement between the disc and caliper). If there isn't then check the trunnion at the bottom of the upright and the ball joint at the top for play.

As you look down at the wheel and oush it with your knee you can see the hub assembly move so pretty sure it's the bearing though will double check with your info.

steve,

the radio aperture plate is available(or they were) with cut outs in for the old type stereo(two nobs and the tuner section in the middle) or as a blanking plate with no holes,i don't recall it being available with a DIN size hole,either way you can cut out a DIN size hole to fit a modern stereo in either plate or as cookie says make your own.

i may have imagined it but my failing memory tells me they were once selling on ebay modified to fit a modern head unit.......

I got a radio blanking plate and cut out a hole for my stereo. I uncovered the tired vinyl on my H-frame, put the blanking plate in place and then covered the H-frame and stereo plate with a vinyl covering kit. Then I mounted the stereo. This means that there is no blanking plate visible and the stereo sits in what looks like the right sized hole.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. You could use any type of plate to do this as the plate is hidden.

Cheers, Neil

Archived