Unusual tyre failure

Keith

Just had a puncture on the Herald and swapped the wheel over, looking at the tyre there is a split in the rubber going a couple of inches across to one edge of the tread. There's no sign of it having been damaged by anything, it just looks like the rubber has split. The tyre is date stamped 2004 and otherwise in good nick (it's a Dunlop SP10). The only unusual circumstance is the weather, it was parked up on snow for a few hours before it happened. I wonder if this is a consequence of trying to use non-winter tyres in this weather, or maybe some sort of manufacturing defect. It's a bit worrying that this can happen, anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Keith

I doubt it's got anything to do with the weather. Get in touch with Dunlop and send them a picture of the damage. Tyre companies like to know if there's a problem with their tyres for obvious reasons! You might get a free replacement and they might look at it and give you some answers if you're lucky!

If you've got a trusted trye center near you pop along with it too. They may have seen similar and can check the others over for you.

Be careful who you take it to though. The twat who saw my Acclaim tyre tried to tell me it was fine. Even after I'd pointed out the large defect and explained that it was getting worse and was shaking the car violently even though I was only doing 5mph and 200 yards.

Keith wrote:
Just had a puncture on the Herald and swapped the wheel over, looking at the tyre there is a split in the rubber going a couple of inches across to one edge of the tread. There's no sign of it having been damaged by anything, it just looks like the rubber has split.

Not vandalism is it?

Archived