The spare tyre debate

GT6Craig

My mate has a relatively new car and on purchase he discovered no spare tyre but instead a can of Holts "Tyre Weld"
So you get a puncture, remove the offending screw, then use the tyre weld to inject expanding form into your tyre which reportedly will get you home or to the nearest garage.
Im all in favour of weight saving, but by removing the spare tyre from my GT6 will enable my tool box to fit nicely in the recess leaving my gear out of sight, and a nice open space in the back.

What do you all think? shall i ditch the spare?

apologies if this war has been raged before!

It's not going to fix a ragged hole torn in your sidewall when driving over poorly stacked metal plates in the street placed there by road construction crews, like the one I got in Atlanta once.

Looking back over a mental gallery of destroyed tires over a long driving career, there's no way in the world I'd go anywhere without a full-size spare.

The only time I've had to use the spare wheel in my Spitfire was as a weight to stop the gazebo blowing away on last year's TSSC Isle of Wight camping weekend.

Jason's old Vitesse had the spare wheel well filled with PI pump, filters etc., and a can of tyre weld :-)

I agree with Will. Although I didn't read the question right and ticked 'yes'  :B

I carry spare and tyre weld actually, but then I've known people get four punctures at the same time on some of the roads out here.

well before you start a thread do a bit of research,or just read the instructions, the instructions on a can of tyreweld (tyreweld is a trade marked name by the way)  do not say remove the screw, it says do not remove the offending item before filling.
Tyreweld will only work with small punctures on the treaded surafce and most flat tyres will be side wall related because the driver will carry on for many miles before noticing that the tyre is flat by which time the sidewall is well and truly fooked rendering and spray in type bodges useless.

Most of the punctured tyres  ive had over the years when taken off the rims had knackered/ dangerous side walls so the tyre was not safe to use on the road anyway so i would never use the "spare in a can" option it could get you into serious trouble-
This does not apply to the modern "run flat" tyres as they open a whole new can of worms!

H

My modern has no spae. Got a puncture as we were about to leave the holiday appartment in France a year or so ago. Whacked in the tyreweld stuff, pumped it up. Checked after an hour or so, pressure dropped right off, so pumped up, popped into a supermarket and bought 2 more cans. Helped a bit and got home by stoppoing every hour or so and pumping the tyre up. The stuff just doesn't always work.
Next Friend got what lokked like a skewer through the tread and out the sidewall. Again no spare with the car (touran) so he calls breakdown. They stste they will only fit the spare tyre. But no spare with the car, even from the factory. Tough. No spare, no help! Handy eh?

In the gt6 OR SPIT, GET THE SPARE FIXED IN UPSIDE DOWN. tHEN AT LEAST YOU GET A NICE RECESS FOR TOOLS ETC ETC.
Sorry, blasted caps lock and fat fingers :B

Clive

toomanyprojects wrote:

Clive, I don't fix my spit spare upsidedown, but with some careful packing you can get spanners, jump leads and the likes tucked neatly underneath it all the same.

Indeed, just easier if the tyre is upside down, and you don't need to remove the tyre to get to the stuff. I just do not understand why the factory had the wheel that way up :-/

I was most annoyed with myself, after buying a new Mazda 2, when I realised it had one of those stupid, [particularly in oz] little emergency spare wheel things, & I had not demanded a propper spare, as part of the deal.

After using it a couple of times, I bit the bullet, & bought a propper wheel, & tyre. That is barely enough, actually, with my wife's driving, you really require a six wheel equipped car in country Oz.

I've relied on Tyreweld for about 6 years now, got my 1st car with a spacesaver wheel. Only needed it once, ran over a big screw. As always, filthy night when I left work to find tyre flat, in goes the tyreweld, home I go, get tyre fixed in the morning.  Can't be bothered with all the jacking up and tyre changing malarky.  Many modern cars have a spacesaver anyway limited to 30mph for 30 miles, so no better than using tyreweld.

bodders1 wrote:
The only time I've had to use the spare wheel in my Spitfire was as a weight to stop the gazebo blowing away on last year's TSSC Isle of Wight camping weekend.

Jason's old Vitesse had the spare wheel well filled with PI pump, filters etc., and a can of tyre weld :-)

I did have a spare too, sometimes :-)

I want to experiment with a space saver on the PI but have bought one that was supposed to fit only to find it doesn't! I have misplaced my list of "wheels wot fit" so I can go find another :-(

cliftyhanger wrote:

Indeed, just easier if the tyre is upside down, and you don't need to remove the tyre to get to the stuff. I just do not understand why the factory had the wheel that way up :-/

Wouldn't that mean that you can't check the pressure in the spare? if it's "upside down" the valve will be facing the boot floor :-/

My modern car came with only a can of tyre sealant.  First puncture was a hole ripped in a sidewall so the car was at a complete stop, miles from the nearest tyre depot.  It took hours and lots of frustration to get it sorted, with no wheelnut wrench to get the wheel off, and then the tyre depot, Apex in Peterborough, discovering they were out of stock of my size only after I had managed to cadge a lift there with the wheel, and despite their assurance on the telephone that they had some!

The next puncture was in Northumberland where we were on holiday, on a coast road miles from any town with a tyre depot. I pumped in the sealant but couldn't get enough air in to the proper pressure so had to creep along country roads to the A1, then creep along that to Berwick that with hazard flashers going, stopping frequently to make sure the under-inflated tyre didn't overheat.

ATS in Berwick were excellent, cleaning out all the sealant, repairing the puncture and rebalancing the wheel for a very modest charge.  However the first job when I arrived home was to buy a spacesaver wheel (full size alloy being a bit too pricey).  I also now keep a wheelnut wrench in the boot as well of course - I forgot that for a few weeks!

Bottom line - Think very carefully before ditching the spare wheel!

I do not carry a spare!! Only a few cans of the puncture repair foam! and it has worked for me until I can get to a garage and get a rapair.
I however have breakdown cover and if need be can use that!
Each to his own, but I don't carry a spare and never have.
Oh ps I do carry a small compressor :)

Quote:
well before you start a thread do a bit of research,or just read the instructions

I was interested in what this forum had to say about the matter, there where some very good points made - espcially the one about the tyre offering protection in a rear end shunt. Which certainly wasnt printed on the instructions!
I cant safely say i will keep the spare there and continue with my picnic basket full of cheap tools in the back. it looks quite good actually just need a tartan rug now.........or love rug i believe they are more commonly referred too

184 wrote:
continue with my picnic basket full of cheap tools in the back.

When you grow more confident and sure of what you'll usually want to carry, a couple of basic, small, canvas zippered tool bags work well because they conform to the spaces around the spare.

184 wrote:

I cant safely say i will keep the spare there and continue with my picnic basket full of cheap tools in the back. it looks quite good actually just need a tartan rug now.........or love rug i believe they are more commonly referred too

I've got a tartan rug I keep in the spitfire! It came in dead useful over winter when the heating packed up. My brother and I were huddled under it for warmth on the way to pick up some christmas lights when he said 'this is certainly the fastest I've ever been camping!'  :)

Archived