Tyre suggestions please

alistairvitesse2

Hello all,

I am sure the information is out there on th'internet some where but...

I have a MK 2 vitesse and at the moment it is running n 185 70 R13 tyres (free when my brother's honda civic failed it's MOT) I can't help the feeling that it is a bit over tyred. drives ok but a little heavy on parking.

Can anyone reccomend a decent set of tyres for it. I am currenty running on std. wheels but with Avo dampers and lowered front/rear.

looking forward t hearing from you

Al.

185/70s are a bit wide for the 4.5" std wheels I'd have thought.

I've always run 175/70 tyres on mine, though on wider than standard rims (5.5" for many years but now 6").  These look about right and have the added bonus of having the same rolling radius as the original 155/80 tyres so your speedo / odo should read about right (will be under-reading a bit on your current tyres).

Compared to modern PAS cars the steering will be fairly heavy at parking speeds whatever tyres you put on.

Cheers

Nick

Very good warning about those 'bargain' Eastern European and godknowswereistan tyres on the market Tim.  Many of the budget brands should carry a 'never uses on a damp road' warning!

Stick to premium brands, only a few quid extra but is it worth skimping on the only thing holding you on the road?

Hi Alistair,

You can get top quality 175/70x13's for £28 a pop.  Not much more than you'd pay for el cheapos.  

I've got these:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=42027220.110.29809&typ=R-104895&ranzahl=4&Breite=175&Quer=70&Felge=13&Speed=T&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

You'll need to factor in £10 a tyre for fitting and balancing...

If you are after some cheap alloys, I've got a set of Supaslots up for sale.  You may prefer the more popular minilite look though. :)

Archived