Original Herald Tyre Size

MSter

Sorry sure this has been asked hundreds of times before does anyone know the original tyre size mine seems to have several different ones!!

Would people recommend going with the original tyre size dimensions or does anyone have a better suggestion will be used as a weekend car not driven heavily or abused.

Thanks in advance.

Heralds originally came shod with crossplies, unless you specified the optional radials I suspect.

5.20*13 was teh crossply size.

Equivalent is a 155/80-13 radial.

Driving on crossplies may actually make it feel better, I had them on my spitfire when I bought it, but radials must surely be a better bet.

Cheers

Colin

145 or 155 13.
many would have had crossplies back then, but unless a VERY good reason, they are not a great idea.

on std herald wheels, the 145's are a better fit. Somebody is doing toyo's at about £20 a pop plus fitting. Bargain.
http://www.valuetyres.co.uk/product.php?utm_source=Tyres-online&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=referral&id=80050

Allot of people like to use 155 80 R13's, as it give the same rolling resistance as the cross-ply's, but there too big for the 3.5" rim IMHO.

So your best bet is to look for some 145 80 R13 Tyres. Many Herald owners use these (i even have them on my Toledo).

Your other option is some 155 70 R13's like I've got on my Herald. There really popular as most 1990's Supermini's had them and there Cheap. They have a lower profile compared the he 145's, but the car should handle really nicely with these on, and they look quite good on my car too.

Kind Regards

Jordan

I'm sure I read somewhere (probably a 1200 handbook) that the equivalent 5.20 crossply radial is 135..!! Have mentioned this before on here, a while back & was asked if I could find where I'd quoted it from - needless to say, I have'nt, yet, but will....
..I've acquired a set of five 135s but cannot report on them, as they're not on the Herald wheels, yet - still have the 175/70s on Spitfire wheels, which were on the car when I got it...

Yes the proper convertion for 5.20 would be nearer 135 width, lol can remember have 950 mk1 fiesta with them on when l fitted the 1300 engine it would wheel spin in 3rd gear, it did get shod with 185's on alloy wheels, well that was in my youth!
145 or even 155 if they fit would improve the handling on radias especially if you go for a lower 70 profile.
But if you are after original look then 135x80 R13's will be fine if you can get them!

Archived