Mk3 tyre size & speedo

1967 MkIII

Hi All,

My speedo under-reads by around 8-10 mph, could this be linked to larger tyres fitted?

I've got 155/80 13" while the original spec is 5.20S x 13" from http://www.triumphspitfire.com/tires.html  

Does anyone know how to convert these to compare? The same site says the original rim width was 4.5" or 114 mm whilst I'm on 155s but beyond that I'm lost.

Otherwise any idea how to calibrate the speedo to my tyres?

Thanks
Steve

you say 8-10 mph, is this a constant amount, or does the actual amount change with speed? differences are usually % changes. If so the speedo can be re-calibrated, if a constant smae amount out, it may be possible to re-position th eneedle, but  get decent advice as if you just take the needle off you will be stuffed! It is possible, but needs careful marking up, and I have forgotton how to do it :B

I have a couple of  4" wheels fitted with 520 x 13s and the rolling radius would appear to be significantly GREATER than that of the 155/80 x 13s on the car.
Can't dig them out at the moment to measure but recently put them on the Spit whilst cleaning up the wheels that are in use.   No, I did not drive on them.
Have not been able to find anything on the NET comparing radial and bias ply tyre sizes.

Archived