New car and new tyre...

pepper

Hi all,

I am very new to Spitfire ownership. - just picked up a '69 MK3 in the last few days. Already love her to bits but do have a small questions i'm hoping you'll be able to help with.

We picked up a puncture yesterday - relatively simple to fix it would seem but i'm running wire wheels. The tyre on there currently is a 155 80 R13, Michelin Radial X.

I am more than happy to replace the set (probably very old anyway) so can I go bigger than this size on 4.5J wheels? And are there specific tyres for using with inner tubes? Or can all tyres use the tubes?

Apologies for the 'simple' questions in advance.

Any help most appreciated.

All the best,

Kieran

It is highly likely that the wire wheels were originally designed for 155/80 tyres, and I would suggest that you stay with that profile.

Wire wheels are a lot more compliant than steel or alloy wheels, and if you use lower profile tyres (and you will have to to keep the same rolling radius for a wider tyre) then the tyre side wall will transmit a lot more shock from road imperfections (pot holes etc) and this will damage the wheel a lot more easilly than an alloy or steel wheel.

As for tyres and inner tubes, you MUST get your advice from a tyre expert.  There is only one that I know of on this forum and he might chip in with some advice.  If he doesn't, speak with the guys at your tyre centre, they have the necessary data books and insurance for the liability for the advice given.

Archived