madjonat

i had a similar problem with my GT6, i found the front springs were slightly to low hence when going over bumpy roads it would catch on the lip of the arch, also when braking hard, have you tried stiffening the front end. Failing this you can get spacers to fit on the base of the strut, but his means taking off the springs again. All i done in the end was to space them from the top hence lifting the front end slightly. i am running 175x70's on silver slotted wolfrace wheels. Hope this might help.

Paul 8)

Purr_White wrote:
i had a similar problem with my GT6, i found the front springs were slightly to low hence when going over bumpy roads it would catch on the lip of the arch, also when braking hard, have you tried stiffening the front end. Failing this you can get spacers to fit on the base of the strut, but his means taking off the springs again. All i done in the end was to space them from the top hence lifting the front end slightly. i am running 175x70's on silver slotted wolfrace wheels. Hope this might help.
Paul 8)

You're not solving the problem by raising/stiffening the car. With the correct wheels 175/70s will fit regardless how low it is.

CharlieB wrote:

You're not solving the problem by raising/stiffening the car. With the correct wheels 175/70s will fit regardless how low it is.

I solved my catch offside front by adding a spacer, 10min job and worked a treat.  However, it was only the offside catching, not both sides, so the spacer probably just makes up for my fat arse!

madjonat, we need to know in what respect have you 'uprated' your suspension.If the springs are too low they may need some spacing.
The introduction of some negative camber might bring the walls within the arch.
You may even have to 'dress' the arch return.
I've done all this to my GT6 and the arches still just kiss the tyres when provoked.
It's all just trial and error until you achieve what you want the car to be.

99176 wrote:
madjonat, we need to know in what respect have you 'uprated' your suspension.If the springs are too low they may need some spacing.

grahamgooner wrote:
I solved my catch offside front by adding a spacer, 10min job and worked a treat.  However, it was only the offside catching, not both sides, so the spacer probably just makes up for my fat arse!

Adding spring spacers does not address the problem of the tyre touching the arch, the wheel/tyre should move through its whole travel without touching anywhere.
Fit wheels with the correct offset & suitable tyres & dress the arches if neccessary.

hi thanks for all the replies... the spring set up is from moss part no. tt4301 and gaz shocks tt3303 the wheels are slotted mags. i understand that putting spacers in will raise the car but i feel this defeats the intension of fitting an uprated set.
using a tyre calculator i am going to try a 185/60/13 has anyone tried this option??

How much are they catching?  My tyres were catching after upgrading suspension and fitting wider tyres but many people, myself included, have cut off about a 1/2" of metal on the underside of the wheel arch. It is somewhat surplus to requirement anyway, and it gives the extra space needed.

I have fitted 175/70/13 to my car and have 1" lower than standard 440lb springs, although I've had to fit a 1/4" spacer in.

Uprated is a loose word, i bought a pair of uprated spring and have a pair of Spaxs on the front (non ajustable ride height) while under heavy braking i could hear the tyres catching the lip of the arch. After lifting the bonnet it was clear as day the the tyres were catching the inside of the lip. After trying some spring clamps that didn't even fit, the only other option was to raise the front end very slightly not much 1/2 inch, after doing this, i have been driving through rough Norfolk country roads and it seems to have solved the problem. Im not saying this is the best way of doing it, but its worked for me.

Paul 8)

Archived