15 inch tyre sizes

Luke

Hi just bought 15 inch minilite style alloys from Midland Wheels at Stoneliegh any thoughts on tyre sizes i am thinking of fitting 195 /65 15 i have cross checked the centre of the wheels with originals the new wheels stick out to the wheel arch 25 cm more and stick out 1cm less towards inside the arch . i am also at a later date  wishing to fit Chris Witor 1inch lowerd springs i am looking for a tastefull look and don't want the tyres to catch any where and hoping to gear up the car for petrol consumption ,.

Hi,
I bought my 15" Minilites from MWS at Stoneleigh about 4 years ago. I originally fitted 195/60 Good Year Eagle NCT tyres, but found them a bit small. Soon changed to 195/65 NCTs and these are much better. Still slightly smaller rolling diameter than the original tyres, so normally the speedo would be over-reading. But as I have a 3.45:1 diff, this balances it out quite well.
If you have a standard diff, the best size to retain the same diameter would be 195/70 tyres, but these are almost unheard of.
Just be VERY careful when fitting/removing the wheels. After 4 years the lacquer is peeling off some of mine, especially around the stud holes where the socket may have rubbed. I have looked after them well, with regular cleaning, but a couple of them are looking a bit scabby now. MWS would only suggest I had them re-finished!

• 2 weeks later...

WT,
I think you're mad.   Apart from the fact that these tyres will be TWO INCHES taller in the wheel arch (see:  http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=tyre.htm) they just won't stand the camber change inherent in Triumph suspension.  You'll be all over the road as the tread lifts off the tarmac.

But ecah to thier own!
Good luck.

John

I'm running 195/60/15 on the front of the Stag and 195/65/15 on the back (just what I had in stock - I am experimenting with Cosmics right now)

Having just come back from the Dutch night rally, I found the odometer to have been pretty much spot on to the organisers route book mileages and the speedo matched the Sat nav up to about 35-40 mph, then by the time you got to 80mph was reading about 10% over.  Therefore I conclude that the 65 profile is appropriate, a fact certainly backed up by the minty lamb data.

However this is on a Stag which was 14" standard, I've yet to try the wheels on the saloon but of course they were 13" standard, so the lower profile may be more relevant!

Having checked my tech data books certainly 195/65R15s are an option but 205/65R15s are very very close to the standard OE 185R14 Michelin XVSs in terms of static laden radius.  You would also gain roughly 20mm in section width (not tread width) using the 205s as opposed to 10mm on the 195s.

Mind you, 16" wheels could have given the option of 225/50R16s. :)  

Clearance wise with the car though may be another matter :-/

Archived