Toledo tyre pressures

rodt

My Toledo is fitted with Dolomite wheels and 175/70R13 tyres. When I had her checked over recently - due to a combination of incompetence and physical disability, I do very little practical work myself - the garage pumped all 4 tyres up to 30psi. Now, when we take a slow tight turn we sound like a bad American cop show car chase. We bounce off minor imperfections like cats' eyes and generally feel twitchy and unstable.
Clearly 30psi is too high but the only guidance I have is for the original 155R13 tyres.
Any thoughts welcomed.

BTW. What a great club this is. Joined only a few months ago; have received some very useful advice; been given a free pair of seats - even delivered very close to my home (thanks Clive); taken part in my first motorsport event since the 70s (Bovingdon Autosolo).

Hi Rod,

When you say Dolomite wheels i assume you mean the alloy wheels from a sprint ?

The tyre pressures from the sprint handbook say 22psi for the front and 24 for the rear, this is for 175/70 tyres, but i think most sprint owners say this is a bit on the low side. most tyre pressure gauges are usually a bit out anyway ( although tyre shops should have calibrated gauges ), so i would say adjust by a few psi at a time until it feels right, different brands of tyre behave differently anyway.  Just be sure to have the same pressures on each side.

With any luck a sprint owner will be along soon, probably to correct me  :P

Gordon

I have Sprint wheels on my 1300 and have them at 30 and it feels fine. A little harsh perhaps, though I think that's more to do with the springs, but it's certainly not unstable. But as Gordon says, just lower it by a couple of psi and see how it feels. Might make the steering heavier though.

Each tyre brand is different and some of them run better at different pressures. I run the Acclaim at 24 all round and the Herald at 24f and 26r. Anything higher makes them feel skittish which could be down to the tyres themselves, different car specs or even the driver being more sensitive. For you, I'd try 26 all round.

On a side note, welcome back. I was wondering where you'd gone to the other day.

ferny wrote:

On a side note, welcome back. I was wondering where you'd gone to the other day.

Thanks. I've been concentrating on my MGF for a while but Daisy is now back in use as my daily driver while the F recovers from an excess of rainwater in the garage with a dehumidifier.