Curtis1360Barry

My brother and I pulled an engine out of my Herald with a rope and length of scaffolding tube. It was quite heavy at first, but became much lighter once the earthing cable broke  ::) That was nearly twenty years ago, but was made easier mainly because you don't have to lift the engine too high to lift it over the chassis. I wouldn't try it with the gearbox attached though.

Earlier this month we fitted my GT6 engine block onto its stand by hand - bolt the four-fingered clamp to the block before sliding the clamp into the stand, and you won't have to hold it for long. We won't be lifting the built up engine by hand, though.

As with all things, think about it before jumping in. Work out the easiest way to lift things, where it needs to go and where its centre of gravity is. Steel capped boots are a good idea. If you're fit, you can lift a surprising amount with your legs, but don't bend your back, and don't twist your spine while lifting.

We needed an engine and gear box moving once, it was out of a 50s Ford Pop and was made out of what seemed like lead! It had been craned onto the trailer, but my Dad couldn't move it by himself when he dropped it at the container, so tipped the bed and it lay at the entrance. I asked my Polish friend who is one of the fitters at my depot could he help me one lunch time. He said he would if I bought him a pack of smokes. Anyway I opened the door, explained the issue and turned round to pick up my gloves. I turned back to see him pick it up and carry it 20 feet to the back of the container. He walked back out and said "OK, time for smokes."

Remind me never to upset this guy!

ferny wrote:
The four pots aren't that heavy. The main problem is the chassis raising as the weight of the engine is taken off it. Makes walking over suspension bits and chassis as you take it out a tad awkward! It is do able though.

Which is why, in the past, I've jacked the chassis up, attached the engine to a joist with a chain, then lowered the chassis and moved it out of the way. You can then lower the engine to the ground or attach it to a stand.

wouldnt have thought it would be any problem for two of you,depending on your age?.recall when i lifted a anglia engine out with a seatbelt around my neck,got it out onto the slam panel ok removed belt and carried it down the alley into my shed.would kill me now though,oh what 30 years can do to you eh.just dont take it on if you aint certain about it.be careful.

use an engine hoist at 25 i lifted an engine with someone was fine the rest of the day the next morning was in agony had a compressed disc or something like that my back has never been the same since (Now 32) as soon as i lift something very heavy it does exactly the same again. At least using a hoist you can control the lift and drop it whenever and wherever you want to.