Trifire

Quoted from thescrapman
Check the depth of the head, or any part numbers stamped into it. Might give us a clue

^^^^As Colin says.^^^^  It is quite possible you have a 1500 head fitted which will give something daft like 6:1 compression ratio.  Ok for running on paraffin, but rubbish for power.  If this is the case then swapping the head for the correct one of even getting the current one skimmed (BIG skim though) should sort things out.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I have found the original details about the engine.
"engine has regound crank mains and big ends( +10 ) new trust washers all 4 rods checked then bored. Rings changed bores honed head decoked and. Reassembled using new. Gaskets timing oil seals etc has run only short time since rebuild under 5 hours "

I have done a hot compression test followed by wet.

Hot  1 = 80   2 = 75    3 = 63   4 = 70
Wet  1 =88    2 = 90   3  = 72   4 = 98.

Not sure if it is the cylinder head or I need another engine or a rebuild kit.
Regards
Sam

So it's only run for five hours? Those readings aren't great... and they aren't fully even. But... there is a chance it's down to it needing to settle and the rings bed in. If it's up and running and moving around under its own power then give it some time and some miles and see if it improves. You're not going to make anything worse and it may get better. Worth a go at least, before the headache of pulling bits apart. All gauges can ready differently and it's even numbers across cylinders you're looking for. Such difference it test readings suggests either the equipment or the technique isn't 100% (no offense intended!) which is another reason I advise against panic and giving it time.

Quoted from Trifire

I have done a hot compression test followed by wet.

Hot  1 = 80   2 = 75    3 = 63   4 = 70
Wet  1 =88    2 = 90   3  = 72   4 = 98.

Many years ago a mechanic once said to me that anything under 100psi is not an engine, it's just moving parts.

Quoted from Trifire
Head measures 3 1/16th inch   or 73mm and number 512248
Cheers
Sam

I've just had my 13/60 head skimmed, the guy that done it told me the heads were 3" thick from the factory, so maybe the wrong head as Colin/Nick suggested? I'd be inclined to take the head off and measure the CR, not that difficult to do and there are plenty of online calculators to do the maths for you.

Thanks guys,
I have lost the use of my garage for a few months so have driven it to my mothers for the time being. The journey was 26 miles away and once up to 55 it wasn't too bad, I have O/D and this helped when I got to a bit of a hill. I better start saving up for a new cylinder head.
Cheers
Sam

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post but after a lot of my hours spent on the car the fault has been found and fixed thanks to Karl at KD Triumph. The car was low down on power and was seldom used, I did a few other jobs on the car over the year but just could not sort out the main issue.I spend many an hour adjusting the timing, tuning the carb, I even replaced the cylinder head with a recon unit, but I could not improve the compression. After the last MOT I decided to use the car more hoping that after a few miles the engine would bed in and improve.I even went through the process of getting another engine. I could not face another DIY engine swap so rang Karl for a quote for the work.
Thankfully Karl is a very good and did a full diagnosis and went through everything that I had done and finally came up with that the camshaft had been timed wrong on the assembly of the supposed rebuild. I was therefore whistling in the dark and would of never got the lost horses back. A couple of hours in the right hands and the car runs really well, one good thing is that Karl says the engine is a good one, but i'm not too happy about who ever rebuilt it.
Sam