Saloon engine in a gt6

Petefeet

Hi, I have seen a 2.5 ltr engine on eBay, it's an MG prefix which I think is from a 69-70 saloon. My question is will it fit in my mk1 67 gt6 . Will it need anything adjusted to fit, can it take the std carbs and inlet manifold from my current engine,  will it need a different gearbox or will it just bolt in connect it up and go! Appreciate any advice.

Ta

Pete

I don't think it will be a straight swap. The 2.5 head is different from a Mk1’s, so you'll need different inlet and exhaust manifolds. They're not hard to find. The sump will also need modifying to clear the steering rack, or you could modify your GT6 motor's sump to clear the longer throw crankshaft. That's what I did.

Remember, though, that the 2.5's torque will increase stress on the gearbox and diff. They're a bit marginal with the standard engine. You can fit different gearboxes or modify your existing box, and can strengthen or replace the diff.

My recipe is a 2.5 engine, Toyota Supra gearbox and Subaru diff.

My Gt6 had a Saloon engine in it and still had the front plate fitted but without the rubber mounts. I just took an angle grinder to the brackets on the front plate with it in situ to remove them!

I ran around like this for quite a while until I eventually replaced with a recon unleaded GT6 engine from Kippings back in the day.

Probably need to use your existing flywheel. and almost definately your sump modded with 2 dents to clear the crank. Late vitesse/GT6 inlet and exhaust manifolds, and really you want large carbs (from a dolly sprint) plus the exhaust from a later GT6 as yours is a smaller bore.

All pretty much bolt-on stuff.

9234 wrote:
Hi, I have seen a 2.5 ltr engine on eBay, it's an MG prefix which I think is from a 69-70 saloon. My question is will it fit in my mk1 67 gt6 . Will it need anything adjusted to fit, can it take the std carbs and inlet manifold from my current engine,  will it need a different gearbox or will it just bolt in connect it up and go! Appreciate any advice.

Ta

Pete

PM sent

John