MG, MM Engine Choice

MarkB

Hi all
I won a couple of 2.5 engines off ebay with the intention of eventually fitting one to my Mk2 GT6. I fancied a 2.5 as I have only owned 2 litre cars. Not sure of the condition of either, one turns over by hand the other feels tight so need I to give both a good soak down the bores with WD before I go any further. Both have some end float but not that excessive. The seller said that both were good running engine's before being stored away for future projects that never happened. One has the MG prefix starting 21 which I think is a late PI and the other MM which has a very short number so believe it is a 2500S. I need to check compression etc. and might have a go at getting them running on the bench. I will probably rebuild one and was wondering if one engine is a better basis for building-up a tuned engine. Thanks

Mark

If they are late PI and 2500S then they are both the same spec.

Not that there is anything particularly wrong with 2500S or late PI motors for what they are.

It is just they have deep chambered heads and poorer cams. You can allways skim the heads and fit better cams. But remember you will need to use shorter push rods.

Laurence

If the MG block starts with 21 it's early 132BHP PI . This won't have the extra ribbing on the nearside of the block .... The other block will have so is a better choice ( in theory ) than the early block . Compression ratio on a 2.5 is governed by the head .. Not the block or pistons .

The only real difference between an early mk2 or later mk2 pi engine is the cam and as Dave says that is an earlier 132bhp engine. The head is slightly different but the compression ratio is still good.
The 219016 head fitted to the 2500S/TC engine never featured on a pi engine from the factory and gives a lower compression ratio than a pi engine. It can be skimmed of course.

If like me you had a version of each car you would know how much difference there is in the two engines that you have, they are like chalk and chees in standard form.

Perhaps an amalgamation of parts from both engines would be the way to go. I believe Andy Thompson uses a late MM block to good effect on his mk1 racer.

Colin.

OP if it were me I would strip both engines anyway.
Seeing as you have them free standing you could construct a decent unit from either depending on the condition of each unit.
what is your intention regards induction,cam choice,any head work and exhaust system and what power are you looking for?

esxefi wrote:
OP if it were me I would strip both engines anyway.
Seeing as you have them free standing you could construct a decent unit from either depending on the condition of each unit.
what is your intention regards induction,cam choice,any head work and exhaust system and what power are you looking for?

Hi all, thanks for all the replies.

I will use an equivalent or close to a PI cam and probably use HS6 carbs. I do have PI throttle bodies but intend on using them to EFI my Vitesse. The head I will have to pay someone to port and skim, just finding the right person at a reasonable price to do it. Exhaust will be 6-3-1, but again trying to find the right one from the right supplier. 150+bhp would be nice. To be honest I am still trying to finish the Vitesse, 7 years in, and I bought these engines now as they were a good price. So realistically I probably wont touch these for a year or so to give me time to finish the Vitesse and get some money together. The GT6 is used most days so will keep that on the road until the vitesse is done.

mark