Alex

Hello Alex,

"certainly worth getting rid of excess endfloat"

I would put it far stronger than that, do sort out the end float before  boxing everything up, it will only get worse. You can use feeler gauges to judge the amount of clearnace as the sump is off.
By the way, you don't need to put different sized thrust washers in as a pair, i.e. if two standard size thrusts still give too much float, the next step up could be one +5thou and a standard.

As for checking wear on the crank journals , use very fine wet and dry strips and WD40 etc to clean the journal. You will then be able to check for wear. Your fingers are sensitive enough to detect even small amounts of wear. If you feel any ridging then it needs a re-grind. If any of the shells are worn to the copper it will also need a re-grind, in my experience.

Alec

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MikeyB wrote:
unless my eyes deceive me there are 3 rings on the nose of that cam - that means 311399 - TR6 CR engine 125hp

So would this all mean with the lacking of a cross drilled crank that this is in fact a tr6 engine rather than a mk1 pi?

If I just took the number right its cr6217hes  could the s be for sport ie tr6?
Would changing the cam...at a later date improve the torque and power output or are we talking negligible amounts on carbs(hs6)?

Engine is now just a load of bits so I just need to reassemble.
Got a couple of questions..
1. Should there only be thrust washers at the rear of crank shaft?
2. There doesnt seem to be significant wear in the bores so I'm thinking run a honing tool down them then fit new rings?
3. The cranks not showing major wear so I'm thinking just put new bearing in the same size as before?

Oh and int it eavy!!

Archived