Rebuilding Engine - Parts Quality?

Anthony

I'm pretty close to the point where I can start stripping my engine for rebuild.

I've heard some parts (bearings for example) are better than others

So, I'm wondering what I should look out for, and what I should avoid

I'm guessing the problem parts are bearings, pistons,  oil pumps, water pumps, and probably a few other things that I haven't even considered yet

Could someone let me know what I should be buying
ie: Who makes quality parts?

Are you in for a rebore/ shaft grind? If so your engine reconditioner probably has access to good parts.
This is what I did, they did a shaft grind and supplied all the other bits I needed and I assembled the motor.
Mind you this is in New Zealand. I don't know if it works the same way for you.
Tony.

County pistons are OK (apparently) and well matched sets.
Bearings, the generally available county offerings are std and HD. The HD are certainly made by King, and seem OK. However, if you stumble across a set of vandervell then buy them! I think some retailers of TR stuff may be able to supply at a price.

Oil pump, probably safest to check yours over and maybe lap in any scored faces etc. Or Chris Witor supplies blueprinted pumps. Most white box ones not at all good.

Water pump, try to find OE nos, they do turn up. Otherwise the std new ones seem to last only a few years. If you have your old one that was OK, use that. Not hard to change after the build.

Find a good machine shop, they can be a huge help as well as doing their bit well.

A good machine shop won't let you down. I would, however, recommend getting the engine re-assembled properly. I stood and admired my old friend putting my GT6 engine back together and proof of the pudding was in how well it performed on the last 10CR (apart from the clutch...but that was probably down to me).

Bearing in mind (no pun intended) that our cars are now unlikely to cover huge distances, be driven hard or suffer from lack of maintenance I wouldnt worry too much about the quality of one make or another. Of course some people maybe racing their cars or driving round the world but mines running fine on the cjheapest spares I can find.....

Quoted from glang
Bearing in mind (no pun intended) that our cars are now unlikely to cover huge distances, be driven hard or suffer from lack of maintenance I wouldnt worry too much about the quality of one make or another. Of course some people maybe racing their cars or driving round the world but mines running fine on the cjheapest spares I can find.....

Which unfortunately means that when the next guy wants to find the best quality parts he can find, all the retailers have is cheap nasty tat.

Quoted from glang

Disagree with this on so many levels.  This attitude drives quality down to below functional levels, which is a big problem for those of us who do drive our cars hard over long distances.

Fortunately the pendulum sometimes swings back the other way
http://www.revingtontr.com/sho.....oductID=AEM4229020HQ

Nick

I suspect even if the car is driven by a district nurse its lifespan on a diet of cheapest parts will make for many many headaches.
especially when you consider the amount of effort and expense required to change engine internals. Paying a £100-£200 or so more for the best available parts makes very good sense.

And if people are skimping on parts quality, chances are they are skimping on maintenance too.

Nick, they are the bearings I was thinking of. At least I think I was, but all a bit hazy.....