Skimming a block

Matt306

I think you'll find that the highest point the pistons actually reach is about 0.020" below the block surface, maybe a little more on the 1600 as they have a thin head gasket.

This should give some room for manoeuvre.  I actually run run my 2L with 0.005" "pop-up" but it has the thicker 2L head gasket obviously.

Nick

It looks like the engine old head gasket had a leak on one of the cylinders as there is a little pitting on the block around one cylinder. Not much mind. The area around water galleries has a little pitting. The head valves are set back quite a way on the head so should be ok.

"Decking" is measuring the lowest piston's height in the block, shaving the others so they are all the same, and then skimming the block so they all come up to the same point, either level with the block deck, or popping up as Nick decsribes.
Possible to DiY the pistons, a lather is best, but I've not done it.
The block, as JJ says should be machine skimmed.

While thnking about jobs you can and can't do yourself, what about  cam bearings?
The boring is a pro-job, but renewing  the bearings, which are cheap, llok simple to install, given the tool.
The tool comes in all sorts of prices from £20-200.
Anyone done this, and what do you use?

JOhn

Cam bearings in a 6....... you've really got to want them! Don't think any of them had them as standard and getting the block bored for them is expensive, always assuming you can a find machine shop to do it - one that can actually do it right that is, not just one that thinks they can.  Unless you are planning a monster cam and high rpms it's really not worth the aggro!

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
Cam bearings in a 6....... you've really got to want them! Don't think any of them had them as standard and getting the block bored for them is expensive, always assuming you can a find machine shop to do it - one that can actually do it right that is, not just one that thinks they can.  Unless you are planning a monster cam and high rpms it's really not worth the aggro!

Nick

Just crossed it off the list.

Nick was it your 1600 with the original expansion tank for water? What carbs u got on?

• 1 month later...

About £ 10 - 12 per valve usually for the inserts (exhaust only).  £ 5 - 8 to  fit/ream new guides and cut seats without inserts.  Adds up. If they are supplying the valves and guides that adds a fair bit!

6 pot always at least 50% more expensive to do compared to 4 pot for obvious reasons.....

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
About £ 10 - 12 per valve usually for the inserts (exhaust only).  £ 5 - 8 to  fit/ream new guides and cut seats without inserts.  Adds up. If they are supplying the valves and guides that adds a fair bit!

6 pot always at least 50% more expensive to do compared to 4 pot for obvious reasons.....

Nick

I have the seats here...