mk3 rear dampers

rossybrown

Hi all,

I'm rebuilding the rear end of mk3 spit as I have acquired a swing spring and longer half shafts.  I want to polybush everything and fit some performance rear dampers.  I'm sure I read on here that Koni dampers is the way to go but wanted to check peoples opinions?

Cheers,

Ross

Koni are about as good as you can get.

Worth checking wheel clearances etc will be OK with the longer shafts, and don't forget you need different tie rods and tie rod brackets (on the tub) oplus the thicker front ARB.

Saying that, just swapping to a swing-spring with the short shafts, plus the front arb swap, is a fantastic and simple upgrade. It is what the early mkIV spit used.....did it to my mk3 many years ago, the biggest handling improvement  did. And cheap too (cost me a fiver back then!)

Ok, thanks.

You're following my thinking.  I have the arb, tie rods, brackets, hubs etc.  Will rebuild everything, add polybushes, koni dampers and a lowering bock with the cover that provides extra clearance at the inspection hatch.

I'm trying to stick to sorting out the brakes and handling before more power. Very hard to do but brakes sorted with GT6 master cylinder, GT6 front uprights, GT6 callipers and grooved discs with standard pads.  The brakes feel good now so rear suspension first then the front.

Ross

You may find you are stuck with 3.5J wheels with longer driveshafts on a Mk3.

Unless you can find some with more inset than standard.

Seen a few people who have been there and found that out.

With a lowering block it may be impossible without arch contact occurring.

Short shafts and a swing spring is fine, and I have had no need for the lowering block myself, sits just fine.

Cheers

Colin

I only have a Dolly 1296cc engine but I went with the grooved discs and standard pads based on Canley's advice and in readiness for future engine upgrades that will hopefully be based on a proper FD code engine - when I find one.    The brakes do feel really nice and i certainly don't feel any need for a servo.

Bit by bit.  I don't ever intend to sell it, if anything I'll let my Dad run it and I'll get a four seater such as a stag or vitesse so I can take the whole family out.  That's if I don't spend all spare money on the Spit!

It seems Canley don't list the rear Koni shocks (says N/A).  Rimmer brothers quote £186 for the pair, any idea where to get them from cheaper? I can find them in the US for $186 a pair but they mention the need for a mounting kit?

Ross

rossybrown wrote:
It seems Canley don't list the rear Koni shocks (says N/A).  Rimmer brothers quote £186 for the pair, any idea where to get them from cheaper? I can find them in the US for $186 a pair but they mention the need for a mounting kit?
I see that on the Canley site; puzzling! KONI NA still shows them as available:

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=1976&mak_id=43&mod_id=377&submit.x=37&submit.y=6

Front: 80 1388; Retail Price: $408.00; KonI online Price: $306.00 per pair

Rear: 80 1389; Retail Price: $300.00; KonI online Price: $225.00 per pair

TS Imported Automotive in Ohio USA shows them as well:

http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/spitfire_gt6.html

Koni shocks - front (Spit/GT6)      $129.95 ea      80-H1388
Koni shocks - rear (Spit rear)      $99.95 ea       80CX-1389

By the time you ship from the US, Rimmer's price might not be too bad? But surely there are other UK vendors?

Archived