Hugh

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that some people who have upgraded they cars to 2500cc and EFI feel they must be down on others doing it.
Bah Humbug I say :P

I was told after my fall I would be in bed for 16 weeks minimum I was up and at home in 6 weeks. Also I was told I could not have anything done about my crushed vertabra so except nature to it's thing well I had a big op T1-T5 fused and I am much better for it. Yes it hurt like hell and sometimes still can but I did it.So please less of the oh it's real hard to do that and more of yes it's difficult to do but this is what I did to my car more of  glass half full please and no glass half empty.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) sorry for rant but we are the Cub That Can are we not ;D

Richard_B wrote:

Ah, but the engineer says "the glass is over specified"  ;D

Richard I like that a lot  ;D ;D

Roy good to hear from you I,ll get some tips from you to upgrade to Pi  ;)or is that  too a paratrooper or is it a paradox or just a pox :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

339 wrote:
I don't like the idea of running 100psi min in a fuel system.  I would use the TR6 bodies and convert to EFI.  

Nothing wrong with it provided correct spec pipework and fittings are used.
And fitted correctly.

908 wrote:
Why is it that some people who have upgraded they cars to 2500cc and EFI feel they must be down on others doing it.

I think you are wrong there Hugh. As far as I am conserned the more EFI's out there the better, be it four cylinder, 2ltr, 2.5, 2.6 or even 2.7 the better. I think you will find that is the viewpoint of the other EFI'rs as well.

If it is the Torque of a 2.5 you want why not fit 3D mapped ignition to your 2ltr. I initaly
ran my EFI on a stock bottom end 2ltr with the ignition mapped as a distributor 2D mapping.
When I eventually 3D mapped the ignition the effect was like someone had added 500cc to my engine.

I have been accused of running a 2.5 in the Vitesse more than once......  :P  The FI and especially 3D control of ignition timing make my 2L more powerful and torquier than many of the lesser 2.5 variants.

My reasons for preferring 2L in small chassis cars (purely personal - not trying to dictate to the tetchy!) are:

I like the free revving nature of the 2L
The standard transmission (all of it) is a bit marginal even for the 2L so the increased torque of the 2.5 just breaks stuff quicker.
A moderately tuned 2L produces enough power and torque to give a pretty rapid car without completely overwhelming the brakes and suspension - car remains  reasonably balanced package.
2L is a bit lighter.
2L is likely to be more economical although I don't rule out good results from a well sorted 2.5 with suitably raised gearing.

Nick

Gt6s wrote:

I think you are wrong there Hugh. As far as I am conserned the more EFI's out there the better, be it four cylinder, 2ltr, 2.5, 2.6 or even 2.7 the better. I think you will find that is the viewpoint of the other EFI'rs as well.

If it is the Torque of a 2.5 you want why not fit 3D mapped ignition to your 2ltr. I initaly
ran my EFI on a stock bottom end 2ltr with the ignition mapped as a distributor 2D mapping.
When I eventually 3D mapped the ignition the effect was like someone had added 500cc to my engine.

That might be worth a look
Cheers
Hugh

jcarruthers wrote:
Just the Megajolt on my engine gave it so much more grunt. Well worth checking out.

However once the injection was up and running it was a whole other kettle of fish!

I had a look at Steve's T Megajolt setup today at CT event and I will be fitting a system to mine makes sence I was also very impressed with Marcus's EFI set up he knows what he is talking about I don't doubt that great setup Marcus. He gave me a lift part of the way down to day and I read the data on his lap top as he drove really good system. Thanks Marcus ;)

I will stay with carbs to start with and megajolt then PI system EFI for the future ? could do. ;)

908 wrote:
I will stay with carbs to start with and megajolt then PI system EFI for the future ? could do. ;)

Thats my plan Hugh for my 1500 engine. It probably makes sense to get megasquirt and use its ignition only feature but I might end up doing it with a megajolt box first. I can always sell on the MJ when I move to MS or give it to my dad to try on his TR6.

Even if I could get a bolt-on mechanical PI to eventually go on I still think I'd go EFI instead, I've been tasked with helping maintain my dad's TR6 and even when it's running optimally, its quite a smelly and inefficient system. Powerful though! If you do fit Lucas PI, get a fuel pressure gauge installed in the engine bay. When troubleshooting it'll be really nice to be able to rule out the pump by popping the bonnet and saying "no look, fuel pressure is okay".

The 2.5 is by no means a free revving engine but I'm sure there are workarounds to this - balance the crank, reduce the rotating mass (lightened flywheels etc) and feed it 3D ignition and EFI and I'm sure it'll rev with the best of them.

Megasquirt running ignition only is a nice solution.

$197 Megasquirt I unassembled kit
$161 Megajolt assembled

You can skip the EDIS box so there isn't much in it when you add it up.

You'll also learn some of the basics of the Megasquirt system that'll prepare you for installing injection— a nice easy step in to the world of EFI.

I was under the impression you'd need MS II for ignition control, which would make it $266.00 unassembled kit vs $161 Megajolt assembled.

James, what would be the benefits for Hugh (and myself) for going for Megasquirt III as opposed to II?

MS1 extra is what you want for ignition control— the "extra" bit is like a go-faster version of the standard code. It's just a different firmware— the build is slightly different but apart from that it uses all the same hardware.

MS3 gives you sequential for 6 cyl — there's not much of a difference unless you want that. It also allows you to use coil-on-plug (sequential ignition)

I have a spare MS2 CPU that I could sell if anyone wants it — you still need the main PCB board and components for it to sit in. It's even preloaded with the MS2 3.1 extra code.

I think you need MS2 if you want to do coil-pack ignition control without EDIS and much easier on the version 3.0 hardware too as most of the extra electronics is already in the design and on the board.

However, if you use EDIS (as currently available MJL does) you can have ignition control on MS1/Ver 2.2 which works just fine.  This is definitely fact as mine ran like that for several years  ;).

MS would also allow quite sophisticated data logging even if it wasn't controlling injectors.

Nick

Nick- I'm pretty sure MS1 extra can drive a coil pack direct.

MS3X can actually only do COP not coil pack- you still need ignitors as they're only logic level.

Another advantage of driving a coil pack direct from MS is that you can have a proper rev limiter too.

Good point with the data logging- wideband for exhaust and also you can control an electric fan using a coolant sensor.

Add an air temp sensor and you're one step away from injection :)

jcarruthers wrote:
Megasquirt running ignition only is a nice solution.

$197 Megasquirt I unassembled kit
$161 Megajolt assembled

You can skip the EDIS box so there isn't much in it when you add it up.

You'll also learn some of the basics of the Megasquirt system that'll prepare you for installing injection— a nice easy step in to the world of EFI.

nice solution until you tell them that they have to install all of the sensors for the squirt just to run the spark.  I was going to run just ignition using the megasquirt ecu but without the injection stuff i cannot mount the sensors.  

nice idea but difficult in practice.

Archived