Hugh

jcarruthers wrote:
See my signature.

Also, if you're going to EFI— why bother with a 2.5?

It really adds so much drivability, save your money, time and effort.

Tanks James I had a look at your site the work is top notch and very well done but looks like it lot of work to do.

But I do now think will go the PI original Triumph route it will be enough for me for along with the 2.5 engine of course. :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a road car I'd be tempted to stick with a pair of HS6s for now.

Get the 2.5 running nicely and then look to fuel inject?

I'm firmly in the 2000cc camp for a GT6, but I understand Hugh's thinking. Not been in a 2.5 GT6 so can't compare with mine. But it must be said torque is bloomin' nice!

thescrapman wrote:

If you put a set of aftermarket air filter on a Pi it sounds good.

Plenty of induction roar.

Cheers

Colin

That.s interesting Colin it looks like Pi is the way I will go and I take Tim's point too I will start off using my currently fitted twin HS6 carbs.

Cheers

Hugh

Item number: 190544252941
Item specifics - Car Parts & Accessories

GT6 Manifolds for triple SU/Stromberg Carburetors

Enlarge

GT6 Manifolds for triple SU/Stromberg Carburetors
Item condition:     New other (see details)
Time left:     3d 03h (22 Jun, 201117:10:04 BST)
Current bid:     £41.00     
[ 7 bids ]

Place bidPlace bid
     Enter £42.00 or more

Add to list

Postage:     £10.00 - Economy Delivery See more services   |  See all delivery details

Item location: Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Post to: United Kingdom
Delivery:     
Estimated within 7-9 working days help icon for estimated delivery date - opens a layer
Payments:     
PayPal, Other - See seller's payment instructions | See payment information
Returns:     
No returns accepted
eBay shield
New
eBay Buyer Protection
Shop with confidence. Learn more about eBay Buyer Protection - opens in a new window or tab

Seller information
Member ID joanesse ( Feedback score of 164Teal star icon for Feedback score between 100 to 499)

100% Positive feedback
Save this seller
See other items from this seller
Description

Postage and payments

Share: this item   |Print this item - opens in a new window or tab|Report item
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.Item number: 190544252941
Item specifics - Car Parts & Accessories
Condition:      
New other (see details): A new and unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original ... Read moreabout the condition
     Type:      Air & Fuel Delivery
Intended Use:      Modification/ Enhancement     Subtype:      Intake Manifold
Manufacturer:      Triumph     Model/ Series:      GT6

can always go this route Hugh, a few on here have,

jcarruthers wrote:

Harsher when cruising on the motorway and not as fluid to drive on the twisty bits.

Justify, Please?? I do not understand where this comes from?

As far as I can see, you can use higher ratio diff's etc with the 2.5, therefore cruising rpm is lower, the higher torque allows better driveability, meaning less gear changes.

Having driven both styles of GT6 now, both well modified, I would take the 2.5 any day (well, to be fair Marcus's GT6 is mroe like 2,7l).

When driving down to Telford for Stoneleigh, everyone else was having to go up and down the gears constantly (both spitfires and GT6's) whilst we kept up with them in fourth O/D. I might be wrong, but to me that seems like pretty fluid driving to me.

Justify an opinion?

I've driven multiple versions of Spit, Gt6 and saloon with both 2 and 2.5— both standard and modified— all variants twin carbs, triple carbs, PI, Webers and EFI.

Most of the time I've driven them properly too— not just a pootle about.

Nobody has ever accused me of driving slowly either.

Sorry Hugh, which Vernier Kit?  :-/

The answer is probably. I have not had an experience with them, but as you probably know the duplex setup gives you less options compared to the simplex as you cannot reverse the wheel.

Duplex   (Tooth and 1/2 Tooth)
Simplex  (Tooth, 1/4 Tooth, 1/2 Tooth and 3/4 Tooth)

Richard_B wrote:
Sorry Hugh, which Vernier Kit?  :-/

The answer is probably. I have not had an experience with them, but as you probably know the duplex setup gives you less options compared to the simplex as you cannot reverse the wheel.

Duplex   (Tooth and 1/2 Tooth)
Simplex  (Tooth, 1/4 Tooth, 1/2 Tooth and 3/4 Tooth)

Hi Richard I do not know what a Simplex chain is but I looked at this Duplex chain
Cheers
Hugh
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390303295851&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Sorry Hugh, I'm not meaninging to be a smart alec (honest  :) )

Simplex single width chain (as in Spitfires & GT6's etc)

Duplex double width chain (only fitted to 2.5's)

I understand that the duplex setup was used due to chain stretch of the PI's. This was caused by the extra load on the chain of turning the PI metering unit against the fuel presure, That said I think it's a bonus for all 6 pots (not sure its justified on 4 pots).

I would expect the one you have listed to fit etc, TBH I have never used one, the standard duplex gear seems fine with the 132 bhp cam I use (Standard GT6 MkII early MkIII). I think its for those seeking the last... last... last bit of omph!

I nearly bought one at Stoneleigh, but had better things to spend my money on.

Richard_B wrote:
Sorry Hugh, I'm not meaninging to be a smart alec (honest  :) )

Simplex single width chain (as in Spitfires & GT6's etc)

Duplex double width chain (only fitted to 2.5's)

I understand that the duplex setup was used due to chain stretch of the PI's. This was caused by the extra load on the chain of turning the PI metering unit against the fuel presure, That said I think it's a bonus for all 6 pots (not sure its justified on 4 pots).

I would expect the one you have listed to fit etc, TBH I have never used one, the standard duplex gear seems fine with the 132 bhp cam I use (Standard GT6 MkII early MkIII). I think its for those seeking the last... last... last bit of omph!

I nearly bought one at Stoneleigh, but had better things to spend my money on.

Would it be better for me to fit a duplex chain kit as per the one on Ebay as I do not intend fitting Pi for a little while yet..
Are there cheaper ones has anyone used another source for Duplex chain set.

Or do I fit a new standard chain.

A NEW BOXED SET OF ENGINE MAIN BEARINGS TO FIT AUSTIN 350EA,420EA,440EA 10/1968-. SIZE .010, 2.5LTR PETROL AND DIESEL. (M3368SA) 6 cylinder engine

Can anyone tell me if these would fit a 2.5 Triumph engine I read somewhere they might .

Cheers
Hugh

The TR6 crank and pistons I bought arrived today and are in great condition for used parts just as the chap I bought them from said they would be. He even left a new duplex crank sprocket on the crank it's nice to deal with someone who is straight up :)

Anyway the pistons are standard size as far as I can tell they have Fb69 stamped on the top face of the pistons anyone know what that means.

Cheers
Hugh :)

Oh he has a full TR6 Pi system which I can also buy is it something worth doing to my car?

908 wrote:
Oh he has a full TR6 Pi system which I can also buy is it something worth doing to my car?

Well if you want 150bhp (142DIN) or 165bhp (with a 6-3-1) then YES   ;)

Do consider the drive train. I have broken 3 gearboxs and 2 diffs over the years.  ??)

Richard_B wrote:

Well if you want 150bhp (142DIN) or 165bhp (with a 6-3-1) then YES    ;)

Do consider the drive train. I have broken 3 gearboxs and 2 diffs over the years.  ??)

Thanks Richard I think I will buy the kit ;)

Richard_B wrote:

Well if you want 150bhp (142DIN) or 165bhp (with a 6-3-1) then YES    ;)

Another reason not to be seduced by torque ;)

Archived