Porous Rims :-(

cook1e

Went out to my Garage yesterday to find a completely flat rear tyre on the GT6. Pumped it up and checked it again and it had lost about 3lbs of pressure overnight so took it to the local tyre place today to get the "Slow Puncture" repaired.

The Tyre place found the leak, and it's not the tyre it's the wheel rim.... They've painted the bit of the rim that sits inside the tyre with some sealant. The wheels are pretty old alloys, they were on the car when I got it 23 years ago and weren't new then, however I do love the look of my Cosmic wheels and don't want to get rid of them if I can help it.

Has anyone else had experience of porous alloys and rim sealant's? Is this a safe solution or should I really consider replacing the wheels....

Financially this wouldn't be difficult as Cosmics seem to sell for a lot of dosh on ebay, but I definitly like the 60/70's retro style of them to match the GT6 and prefer them to other 60/70's styles like minilights or wolfrace wheels of the same period.

Rim sealant is common practice on all alloy wheels and should be applied every time they are changed regardless. As long as there are no cracks and no dents then don't worry about it. However if there are dents/cracks or the wheels are warped then they must be replaced. These would be found when the tyre is off and the trueness of the wheel will be checked when the wheel/tyre is balanced.

Chris.

2402 wrote:
Rim sealant is common practice on all alloy wheels and should be applied every time they are changed regardless. As long as there are no cracks and no dents then don't worry about it. However if there are dents/cracks or the wheels are warped then they must be replaced. These would be found when the tyre is off and the trueness of the wheel will be checked when the wheel/tyre is balanced.

Chris.

Thanks Chris,

This is pretty much the same message as I got from the Tyre place. They told me they often use sealant and even fairly new alloys can become slightly porous. They said there was no damage to the rim and the wheel was rebalanced after the tyre was re-fitted so seems I can carry old with the Cosmics which is good news cos I like them!

Can the inside of th erims not be stripped and painted? A coat of etch primer and a decent paint should be a more long-term solution than the sealants. Downside is that the car is immobile for a while (which I suspect is why the sealant approach is used by tyre fitters who want the job done PDQ)

It's a similar story with the 'S' alloys on big saloons, also the MOMOs on the estate at the moment would do the same thing if they hadn't got sealant on them.
It's fine though, if you want reassurance, those wheels did the RBRR last year without problem!

Colin.

Wow, Noticed that JBW do some Cosmic style wheels now as well. However they are 10 spoke rather than the classic 8 spoke and are 5 stud pattern and only available as 5.5j x 15"....

http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/C-1422-5-x-112-Pcd.html

Archived