Wider Spitfire rims...

sbarc

Sounds like it - the Dunlop Oval hole style steel rims came in three widths - 4.5J (as fitted to Spit MkIV, GT6 MkIII and early Spit 1500's), 5.0J (fitted to the late 1500 Spits), and 5.5J which were (apparently) never fitted to Triumphs as standard, but were used by Formula Ford. Judging by the number of 5.5J sets that have made their way onto Spits and GT6's I would assume that some dealers probably offered them  as a delaer option, but they were never factory fitted.

If in doubt, ask the seller to provide the size info that is stamped on the front face, this should give you the diameter (13), the width (4.5, 5.0 or 5.5) and the offset. You need to be careful with the offset on the 5.5J's, as these came in at least two different offsets, and some people report clearance issues with some of them.

If you want the wheels that look like the steel wheels that would have been on your car, check Ben Hutchings' page at:
http://www.sportssix.info/wheels.php?sort=stock

The steel wheels which came on the GT6 Mk3 are wheel #2, the 13" 4.5j oval hole steelie.

Later Spitfires came with 13" 5j wheels that look identical, & the 5.5j oval hole steelies npanne mentions looked just the same also.

Sometimes on ebay I've seen steel wheels listed as 5j Spitfire wheels, but they are not the oval hole steelies.  I don't know where they come from.

Earlier non-wre-wheel GT6's had 4.5j steel wheels which were not the oval hole wheels.

I'll have to contact this guy.....I have no pics so I have no clue what colour they are.  I'm pondering fitting wider than stock tires, so I want to get the 5.5" rims, but I'm not sure how possible it would be to find a set.  I plan to restore the bolt on wire wheels for possible car show duties.

That's one of my 5.5's, but I've still only had two back from the shot blasters, and I still haven't decided on the right shade of silver / grey for them.

Agree that they look great - just like originals, but somehow more manly.

Here's a profile shot of a mates 5.5 against the 4.5 he took off (sorry Russ, nicking your pictures again):

I just took my tape measure into my garage to meausre the spare steel wheels that came with my car.  The spare wheels in my garage are a decent set of the 5J's.  They are ok.....but the 5.5's would be an improvement in looks.  But I guess if I'm fitting the beauty rings to the wheels, then the 5J's would probably be the wheels to use.  I doubt I could find the proper beauty rings for 5.5J's.

rotoflex wrote:
The size should be stamped on the face of the wheel in a series of small numbers.

The number stamped on the rims say 4.5  so it looks like I'll have to source out some wider rims.  And if I'm doign that I may as well source out the 5.5's.......but I guess those are only available from the UK?

rotoflex wrote:
That's what I'd guess.
5j's aren't exceptionally easy to run across either - I watch ebay for oval hole steel wheels, and a few 5j's only show up every 3 months or so.

I slept on this and I think the 5.5J's would be overly difficult to find and costly to ship over here.  So I'm going to follow up on the 5J's that are local to me.  I think they will be wide enough to fit some decent tires.  The different offsets on the 5.5J's does have me more than a  bit concerned.  I could end up buying them in the UK....have them shipped halfway around the world and not being able to use them due to rubbing issues.

npanne wrote:

Leave the manly stuff to us Brits eh?

;D

Well I've always thought the manly thing to do was to run skinniy tires and slide into corners totally out of control?  

Running the 5.5's with wide tires is the safe girlie way isn't it?   8)

I just found out the guy is selling parts froma  completed '69 Gt6 restoration......I doubt they are the style of wheels I want......or even 5J's

Don't encourage me......I'm crazy enough to do it.  And that wouldn't please my wife.  Of course I could justify the trip as a way to visit my sister in the UK......if only I had a big set of KC lights for the front of my car....  

Archived