Chrome wheel rims in 1973

sbarc

I was reading in one of the Triumph books (Triumph Spitfire and GT6 A Guide to Orginality pg 88) the other day and it mentioned that on the Spitfire 1500 "For a brief time only, between FH 100,020 and FH 100,447 polished wheel embellishers were fitted."   Above this text is a photo of a Spitfire wheel with a chrome beauty ring.

Now I do like the look of the beauty rings.......I'm wondering if these were ever fitted to the GT6 MK3 at the factory (I doubt they were) and I'm also wondering if these could have been a  dealer installed option?  I feel this is more plausible.

My car came with the factory bolt on wire wheels, but I do plan to switch to the steel wheels.
I do think the beauty rings work well with these cars and all their chrome and beauty rims were very popular during this time period.

I have never seen an original, home market GT6 Mk3 (1970 to 73) fitted with wheel embellishers. I had a '71 back in the early 70's and was never aware that the UK dealers had them to offer either. Some aftermarket ones may have been available but, again, were never seen.
I have now got a '78 Spitfire which was fitted with them from the factory (a practice that was very short lived)  I removed mine because fitting them would have damaged the coating on the newly refubished Dunlop formula D wheels. As these wheels are the same as the GT6 there is no reason why you cannot fit them.

I guessd that is my problem.  Once I refinish the wheels the wheel embellishers will scratch the paint thus preventing me from changing my mind.  And I am after an original car as it would have appeared the day it left the factory.

But the chrome centre caps on the wheels make the GT6 wheels look somewhat unfinished without the wheel embellishers.

I guess I'll restore the car and then decide.

Archived