Locking wheel nuts

gilesdive

A quick question regarding locking wheel nuts, usually when fitted to expensive alloy wheels.

It makes sense to take the "key" with you when you go for a drive in case you get a puncture and need to change a wheel. In examples I have seen (modern Ford) the key is a thumping great piece of metal that would not fit on a key-ring, so the sensible thing to do is just leave it in the car, either in the glove-box or in the spare wheel well with the jack and so on.

Most people that steal wheel know this, so surely rather than just jack your car up & nick your wheels, they will now break glass and trash your car searching for it. I know that will set the alarm off, but jacking my car up sets the alarm going anyway.

My question.....do they actually do any good, or do they increase likelyhood of more damage to the car?

I extend my thinking and if I park with the hood up, I do not lock the doors. I rather someone just nicked my cheap stereo and 4 year old atlas than cut my expensive hood to bits.

I dont bother with locking wheel nuts as locking wheel nut removers are readily available these days for about �15, (due to people loosing the key!) any light fingered larry after your wheels is very likely to have one so whats the point. Spend the �30 that locking wheel nuts cost on something else

h

They do have a use - they stop people stealing your wheels!  :P

Kerbed wheels on a lease car can work out expensive when you chop the car in so I'd assume there's a market for "cheap, no question" wheels.

I've got them on the Herald. They're a weird sleeve over a key barrel jobbie. Rather cumbersome. Modern Peugeots have a special adapter which has four pins around the edge of a socket. Each wheel on the car has a nut with indents which match the pins on the adapter. They're can prove to be a pain in the arse when you're in a hurry. And they should be in most glove boxes too as I don't think there's a space for them in the tool kit which is in the boot!

Well I can confirm with authority that the Halfords locking wheel nut removers work, but (despite what they say on the packet), don't bank on ever getting the nut out of the tool afterwards! I had three nuts to remove, and had to use three sets - still worked out a lot cheaper than the labour charge at the garage!

In fairness to the garage (local Rover/honda place), they did offer to remove the stuck nuts free of charge, but as the tyre centre monkeys had air gunned them to 8 trillion times the recommended torque, it just lunched three locking keys until they gave up. Strangely, they had already had another customer that week with the same problem who'd been to the same tyre place.

Lesson for the day - never let tyre centre fit your wheels.

They will be getting a letter shortly.

Archived