Maestro / Montego wheels on a Herald

Scott Sorby

I read that the Maestro / Montego wheels have the same 95 x 4 PCD as the Herald and wondered if they were a straight fit.
I can buy a set of 14" wheels locally and I used the tyre calc at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
to figure out what size of tyres I could use,
compared to 175/70 x 13 I could use 175/60 x 14 and my speedo would read 1.7% too fast. (speedo says 60mph when car is actually doing only 59mph)

Is this speedo error a legal problem and is there iikely to be any rubbing problems with these wheels?

Many thanks for your advice

I have bought a set of steel 14's for my spit, and I have previously used 15" maestro ones on a vile kitcar I was given.....
So yes they fit, 175/65 14 is the size often sold for spitfires etc, or 185/60's.
Speedo being out shouldn't be a problem, you only have to have something that shows the speed, and a small % like that is less than the inaccuracies in the car anyway. If really ou you can use stickers on the speedo, but not really necessary, and i can't imagine anybody actually testing a speedo.

Clive

Legally your speedo can read up to 10% over but is not allowed to read slower than your real speed.

They don't care if you drive slightly to slow but do not want you using that as an excuse for speeding.

That said the speedo is not an MOT item (yet?)

Archived