sparky_spit

Saw these Courier rims on eBay: item number 350129581861

I thought the HD Courier rims were wider than 3.5"? Are these the real thing? Or just mistakenly described?

Also, it seems strange that Triumph-recycler lists things with very inflated buy-it-now prices, then says "make me an offer". For example he has a used Spit 1500 rear light cluster up for £99.99, but also says make me an offer. Anybody had dealings with the seller, as I'm not sure what to make of this?

What is a realistic price for a genuine set of Courier rims?

sparky_spit wrote:
Also, it seems strange that Triumph-recycler lists things with very inflated buy-it-now prices, then says "make me an offer". For example he has a used Spit 1500 rear light cluster up for £99.99, but also says make me an offer. Anybody had dealings with the seller, as I'm not sure what to make of this?

If he sold though eBay for a realistic amount then he has to pay final auction fees based on selling price. Having an inflated price means no chance of that plus he just lists once and people then can make offers"outside" eBay for the dozens he has in stock.
Basically adverts for the price of auction listing.

Paul Humphries

sparky_spit wrote:

I bought a set of 5.5J wheels off him a while back - no complaints, everything was as described and sent out as per instructions.

I've never delt with him but he seems to love braking the cars, but I guess he'll be doing it to crap ones that won't be restored anyay. I don't like breakers as a rule, but that's a personal thing. They're only one step above banger racers to me.

However, Courier rims (from memory) are the same as the Estate ones, 4.5inches wide?

Couriers have 3.5" HD wheels, stamped HD in the centre, until mid 1962. After that they had 4.5" HD wheels, but withno ID stamps to identify them.
All Courier wheels have big slots, which may give clearance problems with type 14 or type 16 calipers. Post 1964 Estates and later Vitesses have small slot 4.5" rims which will clear all of the standard brake options.
Cheers,
Bill.

Richard_B wrote:
Bill, do you know where the plain 5.5'' wheels come from?

Supposedly Formula Ford according to hearsay, though they don't match usual Ford PCDs. With all the Triumph uprights used by Lotus and the like, I've no doubt they were intended for some kind of race application, but you probably need to ask a wrinkly member of the racing fraternity, someone who was there at the time,
Cheers,
Bill.

JK approached the Dunlop Wheel Division (here in Coventry) about 20 years ago and enquired about the possibility of a new production run of LP923 5.5J solid steel wheels. At first they were a little reticent (product liability worries) but eventually they offered to do another run. I recall the moq being something like 1,000 wheels! JK had thought he might flog/use a hundred odd. Back then they weren't as popular as they appear to be now so John walked away.
Back in the 90's the oval hole (Dunlop accessory) 5.5J was more popular in Triumph circles. Apparently if you were in the know it was possible to get the odd set (or ten!) out of the wheel division, but it was nigh on impossible to do it legitimately. Try as we might we couldn't get Dunlop to sell us any 'officially' (more product liability worries) even though they were escaping through the back door so to speak. Apparently they had a fairly massive stock of the things until fairly recently.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumphmuseum.asp?article=dunlop.xml

I have just read that through again and had a little chuckle at the 'Quality Control & Safety' section. It's well known that the LP923 is fairly weak, and can be prone to separation of the inner disc from the rim under any sort of duress (competition for instance). Years ago it was the done thing to back up the spot welds that hold the inner disc to the rim with a run of MiG at each point. It doesn't mention that in the Dunlop blurb!

Archived