Get wheels cleaned up ..

WIMPUS

Well the question is how much it should cost to refurb my old wheels from the spitfire 1500...

So sandblasting and powdercoating or sandblasting and paint .. What should be the price and what is the best quality ?  :)

Going to the garage next week to ask him also about the price (i've seen wheels that he put to a local shop and they looked good)   :)

Are they the original steel wheels?

I had a set of steel wheels powdercoated and they didn't turn out very well

Basically, air gets trapped between the wheel-face and the rim, and when the wheels are put in the oven after being coated the air tries to escape, and you end up with bubbles in the powdercoat

I'm going to get my wheels stripped again, and this time I'll have them painted

Agree with Tim, when applied correctly modern powder coatings are much better and more durable compared with traditional applied coatings.
When you get air blisters on steel wheels, I can only advice not to pay them until they have done a proper job.

With alloy parts blistering can happen due to the fact that alloy is slightly porous.
And when baking the coating, the trapped air will expand and some times will give tiny blisters.
But any good comp[any should rectify that free of charge

[quote=beans]Agree with Tim, when applied correctly modern powder coatings are much better and more durable compared with traditional applied coatings.
When you get air blisters on steel wheels, I can only advice not to pay them until they have done a proper job.

With alloy parts blistering can happen due to the fact that alloy is slightly porous.
And when baking the coating, the trapped air will expand and some times will give tiny blisters.
But any good comp[any should rectify that free of charge [/quote]

I know the shop where the garage takes them to (my uncle had pieces sandblasted by that company)
and i've seen wheels from a Chevy/GMC Van powdercoated in white months ago and they looked good quality  :)

4526 wrote:
Dendermonde / Oost-vlaanderen  :)

That might be a bit far away for the coating company I use, which is situated in Heerlen (NL)
A friend has some Dolly Sprint Alloys away for refurbishing with a company in Opglabeek.
I know still pretty far away from where you're situated ...

timbancroft61 wrote:
Smoothrite is all well and good, but is a bit brittle.

Powdercoating is the way forward!

Sorry to disagree with you Rob. (Chuffed for you that your Spittie is on the road again-I look forward to seeing her in action-I am not doing the 10CR so maybe next year).

No worries on the paint Tim, I painted my MKI Astra steel wheels with it and it lasted 4 years and still looked good when I sold it and I think tins are £9 on ebay. But you are right Powder coating is the preferred method.

I am sorry you are not on the 10CR, what a shame mate any reason? looks to be a dandy this year.

Rob

Going to get them sandblasted and then painted

And i'm going to get the spare wheel done (still original tyre..) But it starts to rust a bit and the tyre got small cracks after 35years..

Now what color where the wheels exactly on a spit 1500 ?
Hope to find a sort of the same Ral Color (is a bit cheaper)  ;)

Also going to ask to get the wheel centers (plastic caps ) re-done (but will to all the prep work myself ) :)

bobyspit wrote:
don't forget photos.!!

i always take photo's ! well  try! ..

This week my phone did not work very good anymore .. so looked .. it was full of photo's from the spit (ofcourse) and it was only picture's from when it was back from painting .. So i have loads of photo's  ;D

Rubber is off the wheels (and for free ) .. now sandblasting (and that place is closed - holiday   :-/ )

So don't know when they are going to be painted because the garage/paintshop is going to close a month in 2 weeks ..
But no rush  :)

They are a bit rusty on the inside also (and you can see what the spare was  :P )

And i also asked the garage if it was possible if he sprayed my wheels to get the plastic center wheel trims done also .. no problem he said  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well my wheels are still not cleaned up ...

Contacted a company nearby .. 75 euro for sandblasting, zinc & epoxy (so we can spray them), if they spray them it was +10 euro

A friend of me knew there was another company not far from me so he called them up,
60euro for sandblasting, zinc & powdercoat/epoxy ... so already a bit cheaper !

Still waiting for reply from another company, but that is 45min drive so ..
The other 2 ones are 15min max from my door  :)
So on monday my friend is coming to me with his father's  Peugeot Partner and then we can go to that one company  :P

Any recommendations for an alloy wheel place?
I have a set of Revolutions whose lacquer is going, and the corrosion worms have got under.   I'd like to get the once glossy, shiny parts diamond cut on a lathe and then relacquered.
There is a place in Birmingham, but I'd hope for somewhere more Manchester or North West.

John

John

I'd recommend speaking with Pristine Wheels in Milton Keynes

Pristine Wheels have got such a good thing going that, believe it or not, a lot of other wheels places just send wheels to them and act purely as a middleman

They'll do diamond cutting for you no problem

I bought a second hand set of wheels for one of my cars and sent them to Pristine for refinishing
They called me the next day to say they'd checked the wheels out and they were buckled beyond repair - nothing you could see just by looking, but it was enough to make the wheels scrap

I doubt many other places would have check that out for me

I was able to return my wheels to the supplier for a full refund

Pristine also took care of arranging collection and delivery of my wheels
I think it cost me about £50 both ways for the courier

I didn't have to do anything other than call them up

They're a little more expensive than others, but their service is far superior

I wouldn't recommend anyone else to you