Vitesse 6; what wheels?

vit6iw

The optional GT6 5.5J wheels are deeply dished, look good, and bolt straight on, I have a set and there's always some on ebay - this is actually pic of my repaired arch and the wheels aren't going to be staying that colour........but you get the picture......!!

Just say NO! to Minilites!

Lots of nice period options out there.  Bear in mind the commonality with '60's Lotus stud pattern and Morris Marinas.  

There's a nice set of Allycats on Ebay at the moment and a set of the four spoke "Avon" safety wheels.

Lots of options! Here are a couple posted here and elsewhere - apologies if they're yours!

The polished wheels are probably Wolfrace, and look good against the dark bodywork. The steels are 5.5" wide as opposed to the standard 4.5". Very retro cool.

Thanks to those who put forward their suggestions.

I'm going to ask the same question with the addition of ...that I should look out for in a breakers yard.  I want to keep the cost down for the moment, so in other words are there any wheels that are easily obtainable that I could use as a stop-gap.  The wheels that are currently on the car are not suitable for tubeless tyres.  I found this out when I had to replace the spare last year.

Denis

vit6iw wrote:
TThe wheels that are currently on the car are not suitable for tubeless tyres.  I found this out when I had to replace the spare last year.

If you have original Vitesse or Herald wheels, they ARE suitable for tubeless tyres. There is a long standing myth that they aren't, but that's a matter of poor knowledge on the part of tyre fitters - they don't recognise anything other than a modern tubeless rim. No Herald or Vitesse EVER left the factory with inner tubes,
Cheers,
Bill.

Oh dear...

Well anything that has the right pitch circle diameter and center spigot size... Anything Rover/Austin/MG should fit (I think).

Alternatively, Spitfire Graveyard are probably still going...

**edit**

Good point Bill. Didnae think of that. No inner tubes on my Her.. Vit... er... Triumph.

G.in_Belgium wrote:
Anything Rover/Austin/MG should fit (I think).

Unfortuately not. Most Austin and Morris stuff has a different PCD, 4" or 4.5" that I am aware of. Marinas are based on may Triumph parts and have the familiar 3.75" PCD. Maestros and Montegos reputedly have the right PCD and will yield some truly vile alloys! For more recent models I think you're limited to MGF.
Cheers,
Bill.

heraldcoupe wrote:
If you have original Vitesse or Herald wheels, they ARE suitable for tubeless tyres. There is a long standing myth that they aren't, but that's a matter of poor knowledge on the part of tyre fitters - they don't recognise anything other than a modern tubeless rim. No Herald or Vitesse EVER left the factory with inner tubes,
Cheers,
Bill.

As far as I am aware they are the original wheels.  I can't remember the reason they gave, but I think it was something to do with what would happen to the tyre in the event of a blow-out.  Possibly it was that there was nothing to prevent the bead going into the wheel well, which later designs of wheels have.  I'll try and find out.  Anyway, they said I had to have a tube fitted, and as they were supposed to be the experts, I did.

Feedback on this would be appreciated.

If there are no suitable cheap replacement wheels, I think I'll get some decent tyres fitted to the original wheels and not rush into getting something I might regret later.

Denis

If you want cheap replacement wheels there are plenty of Spitfire wheels going for peanuts, check ebay for example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-x-5J-Triumph-Spitfire-MkIV-1500-wheels_W0QQitemZ270225664583QQihZ017QQcategoryZ27383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

vit6iw wrote:

As far as I am aware they are the original wheels.  I can't remember the reason they gave, but I think it was something to do with what would happen to the tyre in the event of a blow-out.  Possibly it was that there was nothing to prevent the bead going into the wheel well, which later designs of wheels have.  I'll try and find out.  Anyway, they said I had to have a tube fitted, and as they were supposed to be the experts, I did.

Feedback on this would be appreciated.

If there are no suitable cheap replacement wheels, I think I'll get some decent tyres fitted to the original wheels and not rush into getting something I might regret later.

Denis

Denis

I think Bills earlier answer says it all.

No Herald / Vitesse / Spitfire with steel wheels left the factory with innertubes.

(Can't say about wires)

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:

Denis

I think Bills earlier answer says it all.

No Herald / Vitesse / Spitfire with steel wheels left the factory with innertubes.

(Can't say about wires)

Cheers

Colin

I understood what Bill said Colin, I was just interested to know if wheel design has changed to make them safer in the event of a blow-out.

Denis

I had the same problem when I wanted a spare tyre replaced - "has to have an inner tube mate - not designed for tubeless". Wouldn't accept my demands to put a tubeless tyre on so found another outlet who would.

As a matter on interest, its my grey Vitesse that Nick kindly posted a picture of earlier in this thread. The 5 1/2 J rims cannot use a tube due to the offset. If you try to fit one it blows the valve and surrounding area out when inflated. :-/

vit6iw wrote:
I understood what Bill said Colin, I was just interested to know if wheel design has changed to make them safer in the event of a blow-out.

Modern rims are designed so the tyre stays on the rim in the event of a blow out. This is achieved by having a special profile where the bead of the tyre sits. Many tyre fitters believe  that anything which doesn't conform to current expectations must be intended for a tubed tyre. What they don't appreciate is that for 20+ years, the profile used on our wheels was perfectly normal with tubeless tyres.
While we're on the subject, another thing which few tyre fitters realise, is that inner tubes shouldn't be used with most modern tyres. The coarse inner surface of tubeless tyres can quickly abrade an inner tube, they simply aren't designed for for the job.
Cheers,
Bill.

The tyre centre in Stevenage that I've used for the last 25 years recently fitted a pair of tubeless tyres that I supplied onto a pair of 2000 rims (for use on my trailer).

Once they got the old tyres off the rims they pointed out the the rims were not "Safety Wheels" i.e. in the event of a blowout the tyre will collapse much more unpredictably as the bead wont stay on the rim.  They still had no "problem" with fitting tubless tyres - in fact there was never any suggestion of fitting inner tubes - they just had to discharge their duty of care by pointing out the the rims were an old design and not as safe as a modern rim in the event of a blowout.

• 9 months later...

I took advantage of the TSSC December sale and bought myself 5 Minilites.  They are 5 1/2 x 13 and now I need some tyres.  I'm asking the same question on the TSSC site but I wanted to get as many opinions as possible on what 175/70-13s I should consider buying.

Avon CR322s were suggested.  I've been quoted £162.50 for 5 inclusive from National Tyre.  The CR322 Enviro didn't do well in the wet according to a recent Which? test report.

Denis

Archived