Dolomite Sprint wheels

davidbradley

Hi
I cant afford any new alloy wheels, but always liked the Dolly Sprint ones.
Will they fit.? My car is a 1970 Vitesse, but may have earlier brakes as it's had major parts re-fit from an F reg
Anyone know of any pictures I could check out what they'll look like?
Thanks

I had a set on my first Vitesse back in the 1980's, you need to space them about 20mm at the front to clear the brake calipers, at the rear you only need about 6mm, I think to clear the radius arm?

I liked the look of them with Low Profile tyres, the Car was a bit twitchy in the wet though :-/ ??)

Regards

Gary

garyf wrote:
I had a set on my first Vitesse back in the 1980's, you need to space them about 20mm at the front to clear the brake calipers, at the rear you only need about 6mm, I think to clear the radius arm?

I liked the look of them with Low Profile tyres, the Car was a bit twitchy in the wet though :-/ ??)

Regards

Gary

Roger to that, Gary.
I used Sprint wheels on Old Blue, here's a pic.

Assess exactly how thick a spacer you need by making up dummy spacers from thin plywood, but Gary is right AFAICR.
With spacers that thick, longer studs are essential.
I used Ford ones, 2 1/4 long, but other sources have been suggested - do a search here.
You will also need new wheel nuts, even if you have the old alloy ones, which will be worn out.
Chris Witor sold/sells steel ones in the right thread.

It's a problem fitting that long a stud to the rear hubs without removing them from the shaft.
The answer is to cut a hole in the brake back plate, just big enough for the head of the stud.
Knock the old ones out from the front, and draw the new into the hub with a spare nut and stack of washers.
If the splines don't match, add a bead of weld to lock them once they are drawn to place.

John

Archived