Davemate

Dave

It took me nearly 2 years to get the four wheels. The original set came from Mike Papworth but there were two different types and two of the wheels had wider slots (early wheels) and wouldn't fit over the calipers so had to be used at the rear. I eventually found the other two wheels on Ebay.

The new owner has expressed a preference for Minilites (gulp) so if you're in New Zealand in 2010............

Roger

roger.england wrote:
Dave

The new owner has expressed a preference for Minilites (gulp) so if you're in New Zealand in 2010............

If anyone is interested then surely it makes sense to buy the new owner a set of Minilites and swap them for the wide rims.

Would seem a fair deal to me.

Cheers

Colin

roger.england wrote:
Dave

Roger

Blimey.... and there was me thinking what good taste he has  :(  That car needs those wide steels..... or at the very least something with a deep dish (Revolutions or 100+).  Minilites.........  :'(

Nick

redoxideVit wrote:
Theres a set of four Dunlop steelies in the January courier mag for £250.
Hurry up.
Steve

I suspect these may be the later, MUCH MORE COMMON oval hole varity.
Only one way to find out.
Andy (Northhampton) 01604 810848

1218 wrote:
Either the Dunlop widened steels as shown on Rogers ex-Vitesse or the oval holed GT6 type (both 5 1/2J)

Those wheels on that vitesse are not widened, they are as they were intended two piece construction. Banded /widened wheels are a different story. Banded wheels , questionable legality.

Off on a slight tangent here, I saw an advert the other day some outfit banding alloy wheels. NOT SO SURE ABOUT THAT,

Nothing wrong with banded wheels IF DONE PROPERLY.

Weller make wheels that don't look all that dissimilar to the later oval hole Triumph ones.  So may of the old wide wheels are knackered - bent, out of true, worn around the fixing holes, even cracked.  Pity.

Maybe Mr Slim could have a word with someone and have some made.....?

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Nothing wrong with banded wheels IF DONE PROPERLY.

Weller make wheels that don't look all that dissimilar to the later oval hole Triumph ones.  So may of the old wide wheels are knackered - bent, out of true, worn around the fixing holes, even cracked.  Pity.

Maybe Mr Slim could have a word with someone and have some made.....?

Nick

Weller used to band wheels they then changed to replacing the rims onto old centers.
They also made wheels for formula fords with the triumph PCD

93 wrote:
Got some on my spitfire. Bought them for £30.00 at an auto jumble a few years ago. Bloke didn't know what they fitted so I took a chance. I thought they were either triumph, lotus cortina or formula ford.

WOW !
Lucky find
Even the ford versions are expensive and hard to find, you did well.

Hens teeth?

American Racing Silverstone's early Magnesium ones not the later Aluminium version, swapped a brand new set of minilites with tyres for these, offset is a bit iffy rear is OK with the 3's short driveshafts front needed a bit archbeating  :o BUT roadholding is fantastic with an inch wider track. hard front and soft rear.
now running without the spinners thanks to the APK (MOT) here in the Netherlands.

I'm the new owner of DCK 117B (and am looking forward to taking possession some time in Feb'10 after the container arrives and the car is cleared at the border). As mentioned above, I did entertain the possibility of fitting Minilites for a while. However we've decided to retain the Dunlops, so sorry they're not for sale!

-prc.

Peter Crow
Wellington, New Zealand.

Archived