Spoked wheels-forgive my ignorance.

wottleitdoo

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1948119.htm
Spotted this  Herald advertised. It states the wheels are aftermarket wire wheels which bolt onto the hubs.
Are these common, is this correct or has someone bodged it by drilling holes into a normal splined knock off hub. A couple of those nuts look like they'lll be pretty hard to get at.
Cheers,
Iain

At least for cars sold in the US (we're talking Spitfire and GT6 here), splined "knockoff" wire wheels were the option through the Mk3 Spitfire and GT6+. For the Spitfire MkIV and early 1500, and for the GT6 Mk3, the Dunlop bolt-on wire wheels were the available option.

It's not terribly difficult to find those bolt-on wires nowadays, but finding correct center caps seems virtually impossible!  ??)

'Average condition for a 47 year old'...hmmmmmm.
Maybe the driver might be, but conditions of cars of this age can vary considerably depending on whether or not they've found a good home, or are still viewed as cheap disposable motoring.

Quote:
At least for cars sold in the US (we're talking Spitfire and GT6 here), splined "knockoff" wire wheels were the option through the Mk3 Spitfire and GT6+.

I stand corrected.  I'm not sure about UK.
In fact, I don't think wires were ever offered as an option for Heralds, but of course they were for the 'lower' cars.
Main point is that they are probably ST items.
C.

nothing todo with the topic of what are they and whilst they may look nice  a puncture at  peed may demolish the car when it leaves the road , sorry they also distort far more than any steel /alloy to the point of lunacy, have no safety like a normal tubless, knock and bang on drive/ take up and are hard to keep concentric , and balancing wont cure that they have to be re trued on a regular basis,....best in a photo or just  toodling around at 40 mph not testing the stains in your  pants

pete

Hi new member.

just brought a herald, second 1200 ive owned. This one is for the Mrs. I,m like previous poster, not to clued up on Herald history, ive always been a Roots man.

Thanks for the info about these wheels..... I was told by the previous owner they where after market jobs, nice to know they are SC wheels..... yes its my car on pistonheads :)... Still might keep yet ( may not be able to sell!!!! ) need to repair bonnet, not to bad though seen worse, Doors are dented but have a couple of spares which are better, rust under rear window and a bit in boot but thats it, may need a engine yet though!

As for the wheel debate,  I like origional kit so will prob look for steels and caps. Unless you want to sell your centres steve ;D

Wish me luck...

By the way I also have

1974 SAAB 96 V4
1966 Sunbeam Alpine SV

Tinman,
I really like the look of your car it has real charm, albeit a little rundown.
The comments regarding spoked wheels surprised me. motorbike wheels (particularly motocrossers) withstand huge amounts of abuse, although of course the types of force applied to them are very different. I suppose that a car is a very different beast.
Cheers,
Iain

Hi Iain

Do I / Dont I?

Love them on my Sunbeam (total must for a sports car)
Had a Midget and change to wires as well (sold as constantly going wrong)

I'm a bit anal reguarding origanality. If it did not have them as STD or option, they will have to go. Got a few months to decide.

Engine problem is only a core plug so back to plan one I think.  
Thanks for the info everyone,

2418 wrote:
I'm a bit anal reguarding origanality. If it did not have them as STD or option, they will have to go. Got a few months to decide.
You can look at those wheels as a "period option" -- something that was available to fit Triumphs while they were being made. In this case, that something happened to come from an OE supplier to Triumph. Just because it wasn't in the Herald Spare Parts Catalogue doesn't mean it isn't "legit"!  ;D

Archived