Wire Wheels fitment?

stephend

I think you will struggle to fit 15" x 6J or 15" x 7J Wire Wheels on a Herald, 13" x 4.5" are the standard size for Wire Wheels to Suit the Herald/Vitesse.

Unless you use Ultra Low Profile tyres you will have problems, especially at the front with the tyres rubbing on wheelarches or the suspension.

I have seen a Herald with 15" X 6J Alloys on but I don't know what was done to the Arches/Suspension?

Regards

Gary

2783 wrote:
Hello all,

I have been looking at wire wheels for the Herald, I have seen a set of 15inch local to me what I need to know is what is the max size wheel Ican fit, ie 15x7 15x6 etc etc

Thanks in advance...

Stephend

Only 13" will fit and they will ruin the handling of a car that handles on the limit at the best of times.  You'll find the wires flex and cause alarming handling problems, hidious to keep clean and constantly work loose when fitted  and IMHO do nothing for the appearance of the car.

Mark

jcarruthers wrote:
That's a good point! But Heralds and Vitesse tend to handle awful anyway :)

Oi!  That's contentious! I'm offended now...... :P  I think they are better behaved than certain other small chassis Triumphs due to their longer wheelbase.

Not fair to compare a Vit 1600/2L with anything other than a Mk 1 GT6 or Herald with anything later than a Mk3 Spit - unless suitably modified.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

Oi!  That's contentious! I'm offended now...... :P  I think they are better behaved than certain other small chassis Triumphs due to their longer wheelbase.

Not fair to compare a Vit 1600/2L with anything other than a Mk 1 GT6 or Herald with anything later than a Mk3 Spit - unless suitably modified.

Nick

Haha! Ok Nick :)

I have driven only a few Heralds/Vitesse and they have felt more like jelly than an equally spec'ed Spit or GT6

I am probably being really rather unfair :)

My mk1 vitesse would happily leave the majority of other cars in its wake, including GT6's. No problems at all with handling, tight as a drum right up until the tinworm got to rather too much of the bodywork. You just need to drive some good ones James ;)

jcarruthers wrote:

Haha! Ok Nick :)

I have driven only a few Heralds/Vitesse and they have felt more like jelly than an equally spec'ed Spit or GT6

I am probably being really rather unfair :)

Mine appears to handle rather well. Better than cars with more horsepower. ;)

Archived