Ford wheels on a Triumph.

307e

I have the possible chance of some Lotus Cortina 5.5J steels that are 4 X 108mm PCD. I have seen the Triumph Herald is 4 X 3 3/4" PCD (or 4 X 95.25mm).
Question is:- is it possible to redrill the Triumph hubs to 108mm; or is anything interchangeable or adaptable? The chance of some Dunlop 5.5J's is probably approaching nil; so I'm doing 'research' ATM.
Anyone done this before?

Cheers,

Steve.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Hub-Adapters-MGF-MGTF-18mm-Alloy-Variable-PCD-95-25-114-Mike-Satur-/200679486433?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2eb96df3e1

Often wondered about the pro's and con's of going down this route myself?

piman wrote:
Hello Steve,

I seem to remember that teh Lotus wheels had a huge amount of offset, will your Triumph cope with that?

Alec

I have lotus alloys on my GT6 and they fit the rear (swingspring) but catch the arch lip on the bonnet (even after rolling the arches) I'm love the alloys so much i'm going to fit a pair of adjustable top wishbones next week to "tweek" the clearance

I know someone who had a set of 5.5J wheels on his Spitire who has recently swapped them for a nice set of Slots.

I have not checked but he may be interested in selling I can check - presuming it is the oval hole Spitfire type you are looking for.

As a previous poster mentioned Chic Doig is worth a try in fact I believe he has a set by the counter in the shop just now.

339 wrote:

I have lotus alloys on my GT6 and they fit the rear (swingspring) but catch the arch lip on the bonnet (even after rolling the arches) I'm love the alloys so much i'm going to fit a pair of adjustable top wishbones next week to "tweek" the clearance

They worked for me Tim, although I had not gone as far as rolling the arches.

You as I'm sure you know get a nice bit of negative camber on the front too and they are easy enough to adjust when you go on your track day hooliganating ;) ;D

Doug_P wrote:
I know someone who had a set of 5.5J wheels on his Spitire who has recently swapped them for a nice set of Slots.

I have not checked but he may be interested in selling I can check - presuming it is the oval hole Spitfire type you are looking for.

As a previous poster mentioned Chic Doig is worth a try in fact I believe he has a set by the counter in the shop just now.

The wheels I'm after are the same as the standard Herald wheels but 5.5J and take a hubcap. The only slots are the ones between the rim and the centre; ie:- 4 long slots. Lotus Cortina steels dish out an inch and a half more than a standard Ford wheel but the look of the car is utterly transformed!!
Thank you everyone for the input, especially the hub conversion kit and the hubs in the last post. Don't quite understand what you mean about "not going anywhere just yet" though............ :-/

Steve.

No, no, I have the hubs sitting here, and someone expressed interest in them about 2 months ago (if not more!), and I've heard nothing more, so I guess he's not interested. From memory they're converted from GT6/Vitesse hubs, so will need that type of upright and brake assembly... which I also just so happen to have. It's not that difficult with a good engineering shop to convert any small engine hubs.

I don't know how you'd go about converting the rear hubs though, as I only have fronts. I suppose custom made hubs, or a turned down Triumph hub, then a steel flange made and welded / staked on.

Archived