best wheels for a vitesse

butler89

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ferny wrote:

I've still got all the wheels and was thinking of getting it repaired, wasn't worth the effort.

Would you by any chance be interested in selling them? I know a wheel guy locally so could get them sorted out. Forgive me if my question is inappropriate or rude.

Thanks for the info Dave :)

1953 wrote:

Would you by any chance be interested in selling them? I know a wheel guy locally so could get them sorted out. Forgive me if my question is inappropriate or rude.

Thanks for the info Dave :)

Not rude at all! I wouldn't be comfortable selling them to be honest, not with that much alloy missing. Plus I live in hope of one day finding a replacement. :)

1316 wrote:

You have a good memory!

Roger is local so I've had the pleasure of seeing that car in the flesh. It's also a car people find curiously easy to remember, which is a good thing. :)

ferny wrote:

Roger is local so I've had the pleasure of seeing that car in the flesh. It's also a car people find curiously easy to remember, which is a good thing. :)

I went to the RNZAF 75th anniversary air show today - nice day so took the Vitesse for the 150mile round trip. I've also found the car seems to stimulate comments from people. Today for example, several people approached me in the carpark to comment on the colour of the paint, the wheels, and the interior. Interestingly, one guy started waxing lyrical about the wonderful Standard 10 engines these cars were fitted with "not like the 1146cc engine that the Herald's had, they were terrible. The Vitesse 948's were far better". I didn't have the heart to correct this expert opinion, and as it turned out I didn;t need to because the man's son (8-10 years old) then piped up "Dad, how come it says 2 litre on this badge?". The guy went quiet and made a hasty retreat.....I was left smiling.

1316 wrote:

I went to the RNZAF 75th anniversary air show today - nice day so took the Vitesse for the 150mile round trip. I've also found the car seems to stimulate comments from people. Today for example, several people approached me in the carpark to comment on the colour of the paint, the wheels, and the interior. Interestingly, one guy started waxing lyrical about the wonderful Standard 10 engines these cars were fitted with "not like the 1146cc engine that the Herald's had, they were terrible. The Vitesse 948's were far better". I didn't have the heart to correct this expert opinion, and as it turned out I didn;t need to because the man's son (8-10 years old) then piped up "Dad, how come it says 2 litre on this badge?". The guy went quiet and made a hasty retreat.....I was left smiling.

;D ;D ;D

People like this approach me all the time!  I just nod, smile and drift off into my own little world (sleeping)

ferny wrote:
I wouldn't be comfortable selling them to be honest, not with that much alloy missing.

That is fair enough, I just really like those wheels. The guy local to us would be able to repair the broken one without issue I think.

I now start the task of searching the globe for a car set :)

What is the Maximum wheel width that will fit under the Heralds? I have been told of a set of wheels but they are 6J, is that too big?

Thanks Again! S.

8) I am very pleased as I have managed to obtain myself a set of Cobra Super Slots, which are the same as Fenny's alley cats, courtesy of Ian F (GT64fun)  ;D Thank You So Much again Ian! I am very pleased.

Now all I need to do is dispose of the wire wheels I have, no doubt coming soon to an ebay near you! LOL

S.  8)

Presumably there were only 2 sizes of the ventilated 'Spitfire' wheel, ie. 5" & 5.5"...?? (It's just that my 1200 came with a set, sporting 175/70s & the rear wheels have the wide, flat 'rimbellishers - the fronts had a narrower, curved rimbellisher, both of the fronts, have now skated off into verges!! )Guessing that the size is on the inside of the wheelrim (& if the tyre is off, I'll be able to measure it, anyway..!!)
I just thought that if they were the wide ones, I'd sell them, as have acquired an original set of Herald wheels & hubcaps....(My rear 'trims', are the same as sported by the blue Vitesse saloon, in the first pic. on this thread. I'm wondering if they have to be 5.5 to take that particular trim...??)

No, most of the spitfire oval hole wheels are 4 1/2j, fitted to mkIV/1400 up until late in production (1978??, maybe when they changed to TR7 type switchgear? ) The size is stamped on the outside face, and from memory just inside the ring of holes. Or post a pic on here...

1316 wrote:
those wheel look like Superlite Challengers Adrian...?

Yep you are right I just had a look at their website.
I bought them off Trademe from a bloke with a kit car who was changing hubs to Ford.
When my Dad had his Vitesse 2l CV he fitted new Superlites but the Triumph PCD meant that the centre cap would not fit without jiggling the wheel nuts so the cap would clear the nuts and lock in place.
Adrian

2285 wrote:

Yep you are right I just had a look at their website.
I bought them off Trademe from a bloke with a kit car who was changing hubs to Ford.
When my Dad had his Vitesse 2l CV he fitted new Superlites but the Triumph PCD meant that the centre cap would not fit without jiggling the wheel nuts so the cap would clear the nuts and lock in place.
Adrian

Lovely looking CV Adrian. I didn't realise you were back on the road?

Not me.
That is my dads old one that I rebuilt for him. And using an awful lot of my cars in the process.
Once I had finished it he decided to sell it.
It now resides in Rotorua.
I still have to finish his Lagonda Rapier before I can get started on my cars again. The Lagonda is on something I call the bedstead which is just a 600mm high car ramp on castors that I use to work on cars. It saves my back, you just see it under the Vitesse.

Peter and anyone else in NZ next saturday 14th April there is a Triumph meeting at Taupo race Track. I might call in on my way home from working in Auckland.

Adrian

cliftyhanger wrote:
fitted to mkIV/1400 up until late in production (1978??,

1400 ? Is that a Zetec engine Clive?  ;D

ps theres 3 different sizes of oval hole wheels around.

4.5 Spitfire MkIV
5    Spiftire late 1500
5.5  Dunlop (aftermarket and Formula Ford, which fitted the Triumph PCD)

I was away with the fairies again!
but......when did the wheel width change? thinking about it, my  late style 1500, relatively unscathed (actually VERY unscathed until I owned it) came with 4 1/2j wheels. I had a dolly 1500 SE back in the eighties (terrible car that was) and that had 5j spitfire wheels (as std) so the changeover may have been 1979??

cliftyhanger wrote:
I was away with the fairies again!
but......when did the wheel width change? thinking about it, my  late style 1500, relatively unscathed (actually VERY unscathed until I owned it) came with 4 1/2j wheels. I had a dolly 1500 SE back in the eighties (terrible car that was) and that had 5j spitfire wheels (as std) so the changeover may have been 1979??

I think the dolly 1500SE wheels are a different offset to the spitfire ones.

Archived