best wheels for a vitesse

butler89

Hello everyone i require some assistance. i Have a mk 2 white vitesse currently on steel wheels with the original rostyl type hubcaps which dont like staying attatched to the wheel> anyway i am sick of playing with them and have decided to go for some nice alloys. Any suggestions please?
Regards richard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree......  but the wider steels tend to fetch more than alloys these days.

Actually, anything with plenty of dish.  I like cross-spoke alloys myself (100+, Alleycats, compomotive CX etc)

Green Herald below has K & N Gemini (I think) and Vitesse has 100+ cross-spokes.  Both are 6".  You need ET around 13mm to get away with 6" and 175/70 tyres are pretty much the max without arch mods.  TR7 alloys fit and don't look too bad.

Problem is that there is minimal choice new.  Various takes on the Minilite idea and Revolutions with questionable ET are about it.
SAets do come up fairly regularly on ebay though - just needs a bit of patience.

Nick

I've fitted 13x5.5 alu's to my Vitesse 1600. I don't know the ET, original they come from a TR7.
As the picture indicates the tires has been touching the arch rim and bended it downwards.
Pictures of an unloaded setup.
The setup has not yet been driven, but I take my chances that the swing setup itself  will reposition the wheels a bit further inwards in the arch.

regards Flemming

Nick_Jones wrote:
I agree......  but the wider steels tend to fetch more than alloys these days.

Actually, anything with plenty of dish.  I like cross-spoke alloys myself (100+, Alleycats, compomotive CX etc)

Green Herald below has K & N Gemini (I think) and Vitesse has 100+ cross-spokes.  Both are 6".  You need ET around 13mm to get away with 6" and 175/70 tyres are pretty much the max without arch mods.  TR7 alloys fit and don't look too bad.

Problem is that there is minimal choice new.  Various takes on the Minilite idea and Revolutions with questionable ET are about it.
SAets do come up fairly regularly on ebay though - just needs a bit of patience.

Nick

2285 wrote:
And here is the front.
Also got some MkIV Spitfire wheels to try

These are Cosmic 5 O,s    

edit,  looking at that link , it seems as useual, diff manufacturers make same wheel,and call it summat else.  I said they Cosmics, cos I had some on a  Capri .

the  8  spoke cosmics are to me a clasic item, go well on just about any car.
but still think the Libre wheel is top dog.

M

I am fortunate to have a set of 5.5j dunlops with my project. Didn't realise how rare they were until recently.

What is the best way to refurbish them? Shot blast, primer then paint (what is the official silver colour?), or do they need a lacquer on top?

2191 wrote:
I am fortunate to have a set of 5.5j dunlops with my project. Didn't realise how rare they were until recently.

What is the best way to refurbish them? Shot blast, primer then paint (what is the official silver colour?), or do they need a lacquer on top?

You own (in my opinion) four things of beauty! I have these on my car (the gunmetal grey one earlier in this thread, with more pictures at  triumphowners.com/1684). I'm running 175/65x13 tyres and the suspension has been lowered by 1".

Can I suggest you contact roger.england (user on this forum). Roger owned my car when it was restored and I suspect he'd happily describe the actual process he went through. If you need any measurements or specific detail, let me know and I'll try to provide it.

Good luck!
-prc.

ferny wrote:

Alley Cats - I miss them, they weighed less with a tyre than a bare Sprint wheel

I have a set of 13in Wire wheels fitted to my Herald 13/60, painted alloy wheel silver. They look nice, but I really want a set of Ally Cats now I've seen how they look on a Herald!! I love them so much defo on my want list now!!!  8)

What size are the ones in the picture? Are they a straight fit?  8)

uksnatcher wrote:
Ferny...Alleycats..YES...why did you remove them??? ....sprint alloys erm..no they dont look right, sorry bud

Courtesy of someone not being able to control their car in the snow at the gym car-park, is my assumption. Left a nice scrape on my car going from under the headlight to half way along the passenger door. Retracing my steps, I'd been driving around for 2/3 days with the wheel like that without knowing.  :-/

I've still got all the wheels and was thinking of getting it repaired, wasn't worth the effort. Fitting some Rev's would have been easier and cheaper than the sprints as well! But where's the fun in that?

1953 wrote:

I have a set of 13in Wire wheels fitted to my Herald 13/60, painted alloy wheel silver. They look nice, but I really want a set of Ally Cats now I've seen how they look on a Herald!! I love them so much defo on my want list now!!!  8)

What size are the ones in the picture? Are they a straight fit?  8)

5.5J in 13" flavour. I believe the offset was 0. :)

Archived