Hobie21

Hi

I am all most ready to get the old girl an MOT, first one in at least 10 years, but I need new steel wheels and new tyres both of which seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. Can anyone point me in the right direction I have looked on my normal web sites and it seems they none of them hold new wheels.

I have cleaned the inside of the wheels with a wire brush and was surprised just how much rust came of them. Would shot blasting and powder coating be a better option.

Your advise would be most welcome.  

It's probably easier to find some grotty alloys than steel wheels these days but try calling round the trade, it's not the kind of thing that looks good on a web site but often they will have some lurking in a corner!

I very much doubt you will get new wheels, but a good set blasted and painted/powdercoated should be as good as.
From what you are implying, you want original type tyres. I know somebody who got some recently, an original pattern dunlop or goodyear (memory fade on that point) BUT cost £800 a set for 155/13's. Ouch. They were radials BTW, not crossplies.
Otherwise there are plenty of 145/80 155/80 tyres about, not expensive either. Recently got a set of toyo's for £100 (self-fitted)

Archived