Shotblasting Steel Wheels

oldsaab93

I would like to get the steel wheels on one of my Heralds shot blast and then either painted or powder coated.

My local blaster has quoted me £25 per wheel just for the blasting.  This seemed a bit on the high side to me - but maybe I am out of touch with current pricing as the last lot of blasting I had done was at 'mates' rates.

Can anybody confirm whether this is a good price or not, and any views on whether to paint or powder coat?

Also, if anybody could recommend a painter on the Wiltshire/Gloucestershire border that would be helpful too.

thank you
Martin

Hello Martin,

usually the powder coater will also be able to blast clean, I would ask the company who you are thinking of using to do the powder coating? In fact it's preferable as by the time you take your newly cleaned wheels to the powder coater they will have started to rust, unless you can be sure that the time between blasting and coating is no more than a few hours.

Alec

Blasting is quite simple and cheap; a full set of Herald wheels costs me around £25, coated in primer is usually about £5 extra. The primer is simply to stop rust starting before the painting proper and usually requires rubbed down and resprayed. Powder coating I always had reservations about, having been the recipient of many Triumphs where the parts had been powder coated then deteriorated over the years, and it aways required substantial replacement or repair. Repainting, anyone can do with care... but as Piman says allow the Powder Coaters to prepare the wheels which may cost more but at least should give a guaranteed finish.