Fitting larger wheels studs [Herald]

Talkwrench

Some of you know I asked the question of fitting larger wheel studs after loosing three of mine on one of the rear wheels at over 65 MPH..
I did a few photos along the way so hopefully they might help someone else. This article is a great start  http://auskellian.com/paul/links_files/upgrade_spitfire_wheel_studs.html
Here is my original "asking" http://www.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1408964424/

For me the front was ok except those stupid dust covers have no lip on them for removal. Other than that straight forward remove the wheel , take of calliper , undo hub nut and remove. Then separate the disc from the hub, those 1/2" nuts are done up tight! Bash out the old studs and then insert the new freelander ones, I have a press so it was easy. Then reassemble everything.

The rear.. The pics really tell the story. I did it all from the front as with most of us we are getting older and don't have a hoist!.
Remove wheel, remove brake assembly, undo just the rear two 1/2" nuts after bending the tabs out of the way , They will be tight too! If you undo the two others the whole hub wants to come away and you cant move the backing plate anyway. Insert punch after smacking out the old studs mark and then drill through the stud hole using it as a guide as big as you can go. Because of the angle I found coming in from the side with a die grinder about the only way to get the hole that size. Do it only just enough to get the stud through, as you need to fit a rubber bung afterwards. Using an extension through the hole you've just made will hold the hub while you do up the studs one by one using a stack of washers and a sleeve nut do them up and crank them in, you will feel them stop. Last one you will need to put a bar in-between the studs to hold it.  Now put the bung in , then do up the 1/2" nuts tight and bend the tabs back. Reassemble the brakes, use some synthetic grease where needed, common sense here. The only thing I had to do was reverse the top spring to behind the shoes as it would foul on the end of the studs as they are just slightly larger. Wheel on .. Now you can do up to 65 lbs , go for a drive and then later come out and do them up again to seat properly.. check the first couple of drives... Done!