trfour

Looking for wheel ideas for my '62 TR4.  What is the largest 15" wheel width that will fit without too many issues?  I personally like a deeper dish look.  Any ideas with regards to offsets & backspacing, etc?  I've been looking for more of a vintage wheel (magnesium American Racing Silverstones, etc.) but will entertain any ideas.  I am currently running TR6 steel wheels.  The pic is not my car, but I kind of like the stance...those are 15x7's on the rear, would those fit on a stock rear without sticking out?!  Thanks!

Hi

15 x 6 is probably the widest I would go and even this can give you handling issues unless you upgrade the suspension with a Revington TR handling package or similar.

You will have problems with the front inner rims touching the edge of the top wishbones, even with correct offset with 6" alloys (the rim is thicker profile than the corresponding steel equivalent)

I fitted minilite 6 x 15 with 195/65 Vredestein sportrack 3s. Amazing handling, the back end no longer breaks loose, even on the limit.

The severity of the inner rim catching varies from car to car and differs from nearside to offside!

The fix to stop you ruining your new alloys is three fold

1/fit bigger lock stops, (which increases your turning circle slightly)

2/ radius with a file or grinder the corners off your top wishbones (this doesn't affect strength)

3/ fit to the front wheels only, thin spacers I think from memory they are 5 or 7mm. (check your wheel studs are adequate in length to do this, otherwise fit new longer wheel studs)

Rear wheels are fine, you will have no problems with 6" or larger.

Hope this helps

All the best

Darren  

Archived