Which size wire wheels for spitfire1500?

thebouncingbunny

If you really want wires, there are places (MWS, rimmers etc) who will sell you a complete kit.
Bearing in mind they are flexible and difficult to keep clean, you will not be using them for performance, so don't worry about the width, 4.5j was std on most squaretail spitfires (except the very late 1500 which were 5j) and willaccept 155/80, 165/70 and at a squeeze 175/70, though I reckon the 155 option would be the "best". And yes, I believe inner tubes are required, and you need to find somebody to balance them, most tyre places do not have the correct equipment. Do some reading first.

Lastly, if considering secondhand, be extremely cautious. There should be no wear in the splines, difficult to check off the car unless they are bad. And it can be a false economy if the wheels need blasting/painting or powdercoating.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005757

You may find some a bit cheaper....

Just to add to what Clive has said, wire wheels are available with four stud fixing. Now you may throw your hands in the air and say "Not for me!" But consider the advantages; no worn splines to worry about, no shortening of the studs to do (which will prevent fitting standard steel wheels or stud adapters) and being able to get a socket spanner on the nuts rather than just an open ender in the case of the spline adapters.