5.5J GT6 Mk1 Steel Wheels

MikeTeesside

The solid ones, not the later ones with the holes.

I may have found a full set. Are these the rare ones? I have a Mk1 and I'm looking for originality rather than the "omg super rare rims bro" factor. The deeper wheel was a factory option, wasn't it? I'd much prefer them over the minilites she's currently on, I think they look too modern to suit a Mk1.

The seller sent me this picture and several others. They are definitely 5.5J, not 4.5J.

Just wanted to know if they are "correct".

They look like the proper 5.5j wheels. Be aware that from the outset they were aftermarket, probably via dealers.
Also check for trueness, many are bent (I owned loads over the years, over half were bent but were often recoverable with help of levers etc.

BTW they do look superb on the cars, best looking wheel I reckon (on all cars except gt6mk3 and late spitfires)

Mmmm give me give me!  ;)

That's what I want on my mk3 spit! They just look so right on the early ones, and I agree with clive, they don't look right on the later models.

You should be able to buy them, fit them and try them, if you don't like them then you will get your money back. But I think you'l like the look of them.
As long as you can get them for a good deal.

Cheers

Thanks guys, just wanted to check I wasn't being a massive idiot.

The guy selling them is a really nice bloke who I met purely by accident at the Ripon show last weekend. Surprised he isn't on here too as he owned a Mk1 himself for years.

Once I have enough dosh to get them powdercoated cream (and new hub caps of course) I'll get them on.

And don't worry, john2502, you still have first refusal on the minilites.

7801 wrote:
Cheers  Mike, good luck with your search. Reckon they'll look loads better to be honest.

Am trying to decide if I like minilites on a MK3, google image search I think.

Maybe a club member with minilights  fitted can come and visit you, so you can fit his wheels for a few minutes.
So you can seen how you like them  ;)

175 70 13 are ideal. Or should be. The bonus is the overall diameter is the same as the original tyres so should keep the speedo accurate
185 60 will fit, but more chance of rubbing. 165 70 are a possibility too, but getting a bit skinny for the wheels.

Totally agree with Clive.

I have always thought that 175/70 13 tyres are the ideal tyre for a GT6 and after 30 years see no reason to change from this thought.

Low profile rubber ruins the ride, makes the car tramline and of course with our roads being full of potholes you need some compliance!

• 1 month later...

Woohoo, finally got these babies powder coated in a gorgeous white cream. it has tiny black metallic flecks in that you can barely see but gives it a "poured cream" look.

Very happy indeed!

Now just have to scrounge up some money from somewhere so I can get tyres swapped over and some new chrome hub caps which are eyewateringly expensive considering they're just chromed pressed steel discs.

7112 wrote:
There were four chrome hub caps on eBay not so long ago for only £25. I've had a look but they must have finished as I can't find them now  :(

They sometimes pop up.

You can get new ones like these [ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141278286789 ] still cheaper than Rimmers, but still relatively expensive. I just keep my eyes open.

I have a set of the 5.5 Dunlop wheels fitted with 175 70 Firestone tyres. When fitted on my Mk3 Spit I had no problems with rubbing, plenty of clearance at the rear,  but when fitted to my Mk2 GT6 they rubbed on the rear wheel arch. One inch lowering block fitted. Now going to be fitted onto a Mk2 Vitesse. It has nothing to do with the GT6 sitting lower but the shafts must be slightly longer on the rotoflex cars and there was more negative camber on the spit. I had a set of the later 5.5 wheels and had the same problem so sold them o a chap with a Mk3 GT6 where again there is even more clearance because of the different shaped rear wing. Fitting hub caps will chip the powder coating off the wheels.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the resurrection.. I need to know what the PCD of the GT6 wheels are so I can properly sell my minilites.

I ran a search but keep finding conflicting information and I'm now confused!

Obviously don't want to sell the minilites and have the buyer shout at me because I gave him the wrong PCD. :o

MarkB: I've decided to run them for a while with the nice stainless nuts I bought, until I can afford the proper chrome hub caps. Not worth skimping on the cheap ones. I'll also foam the inside slightly as to reduce chipping hopefully.

The PCD is 95.25mm or 3.75"

If its the offset or ET you mean........you may be able to answer your own question by measuring it accurately, i use 2 long steel rulers (or 1 ruler and a long straight edge metal bar) and a flat floor

Wheel face down or curb side down on the floor - straight edge across both backsides or car side rim edges, ruler down the center hole, measure distance from hub contact to straight edge (back spacing). Measure curb side rim edge to car side rim edge, then half that figure....that is centerline. Subtract the rim to hub contact measurement (back spacing) from the half width measurement (centerline) and you have the offset :) :

cliftyhanger wrote:
They look like the proper 5.5j wheels.

Proper, but not THE proper…. small point but the originals were 4.5J; these as rightly stated were aftermarket and real Hen’s teeth nowadays. I really prefer the solid steel wheels to wire or spoked wheels. As for hubcaps, try to get the originals with the correct pressing, good undented ones which you can then have rechromed to a good standard if they require it; so much better looking than the modern replacements which aren’t as well pressed.