Early steel wheels?

MikeTeesside

I'm looking for the early GT6 ones without the holes, the more solid looking ones.

Currently my Mk1 has minilites. I'm really not a fan. I'm trying to go for a more authentic look and have already re-chromed and re-instated the front bumper (profile pic shows it without). I've seen a few pictures of Mk1's with the early wheels painted white and the large chrome hubcap. Kind of a faux white wall tyre look. I'm in love with that look, and to top it off the best colour it seems to go with is red.

But I'm having the damnedest time finding any! Are they super rare? I can find the later steel wheels with the holes all over the place. Not a sniff of the early ones. :(

The mk1 gt6 steels were 13x4 1/2 J (wire wheels optional)
In fact the same through mk1 to mk3, the difference being the mk3 had the holes round the edge, the 5.5j wheels were an option, not factory fitted.

So are you looking for the 4.5 j standard steels? The 5.5j plain ones are like rocking horse doo doo!

They were the same as the spitfire mk 3 from FD75000! (before that they were 3.5j)

Yes second what Tim said,
I found spitfire graveyard to be great service and very friendly!

4058 wrote:
So are you looking for the 4.5 j standard steels? The 5.5j plain ones are like rocking horse doo doo!

Yes I am. I'd actually quite like the 5.5j but I'm far too cheap for them, haha. Some one was selling a full set of them for around £700 a little while back. My debit card started crying and hid under the bed out of reach.

Of course there's also the jigsaw wheels if they have any left.

I just don't like the minilites, I think they look good on the mk2/mk3 but not the mk1. They were on when I bought the car and I thought they might grow on me. They haven't.

Anyway, thanks guys and I'll check out the usual suspects (breakers). :)

490 wrote:
Be careful who you buy from. I was charged £75 for one 4.5 J wheel from a breaker

and you paid it without asking around on here first?   :-/   :o

I've spent the last year hoovering them up to make up a few different sets for the rally car. Fair going rate is around a tenner a wheel, some people actually give them away!  Also got a pair from Spitfire Graveyard at £20 delivered, just to make up the last set.

heraldcoupe wrote:
The 4.5J small slot wheels were also fitted as standard to Vitesse 2l Mk1 & Mk2, as well as Herald Estates after 1964.
I believe they were also fitted to later examples of the Vitesse 6 after the big slot wheels were phased out in late 1964.
And (not that this likely would help all that much), at least in the US, the 4.5" wheels (Dunlop LP875 is what you're looking for, and the "LP875" is stamped on the front face of the wheel) were fitted to the 1970 model year Spitfire Mk3. I don't know if that was true for UK versions.

One, perhaps unnecessary, word of caution.  Older rims would have been designed for use with tubes and will not be suitable for tubeless.  A tyre fitter I use refused to fit a tubeless on an original 1973 steel because it didn't have the internal retaining lip. As I only wanted it for a spare and the Spit is fitted with Minilites and it wouldn't stay on for long it wasn't a problem.

I don't worry about all that. No spitfire wheels have the humps, and I doubt any other wheels from the era do.
I would't use tubes as todays tyres are not suitable for use with tubes, and a tubed tyre will deflate extremely quickly if punctured. So use tyres without tubes.
Some tyre fitters are a bit inexperienced, and do not understand old cars. Bit like mechanics who cant fix them because there is no OBD port to plug the laptop into.

bhuffer wrote:
One, perhaps unnecessary, word of caution.  Older rims would have been designed for use with tubes and will not be suitable for tubeless.  A tyre fitter I use refused to fit a tubeless on an original 1973 steel because it didn't have the internal retaining lip. As I only wanted it for a spare and the Spit is fitted with Minilites and it wouldn't stay on for long it wasn't a problem.

My wheels (banded) are fitted with modern tubeless tyres and I have had absolutely no issues at all. They've been on for over 3 years now, and despite that they are technically too narrow for the wheels, I have had no adverse effects. If the tyre is correctly fitted and inflated I see no reason why having the inner bead would make any difference at all

junkuser wrote:
When tubeless tyres were introduced to the market there were not many, if any, safety rims around.

Absolutely - Heralds were specified with tubeless tyres from day 1.
It's not the first time I've heard of ill-informed tyre fitters failing to understand the differences in older wheel designs, though I've yet to have this argument with one myself.....

Cheers,
Bill.

I have.  Local fitter insisted I put tubes in.  They lasted a month and I then I had two flats in two days where the ribs in the tyre wall wore through the tube.  I went back (after some aggro - I only had the one spare and that was fitted for the first puncture) and we had a frank exchange of views which expanded to include the manager.  The tubes came out FOC......

Nick

The only wheels we would not fit tubeless to in the early days were those on old, heavy American imports as the bead could slip off the rim and into the well during tight, low speed, cornering.
The rims were relatively narrow for the size of the car and the rims sloped down to the well.
(Tyre service in Sydney, Australia)