What wheels fit?

AngryBaldMan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uksnatcher wrote:
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspension/wheel_options_for_the_mgf.htm

Pic of the standard 14" 5.5J 175/65 MGF spare wheel...........hhhhmmmmm  (think)

Mine currently with 15" MGF .......

First ones i tried but didnt like...

And they don't rub against the wheel arch ?? I just bought Revolution wheels (5,5j x 13) but i don't know of they will fit..

Hugh, ta mate, if thats you in the new avitar....you need a shave  ;) Cute cool pooch BTW 8)

185/55/15 toyo proxies t1r fnt, 205/50/15 Avon zv3 rear.

WIMPUS, the 13" revolutions should just fit on no probs, you will need alloy wheel nuts tho,  no the MGF alloy wheels dont fit straight on, larger freelander studs all round with MGF wheel nuts, rears close but no rubbing issues and fitted adjustable shocks set hard, fronts involved stiffer 480lb springs, fully adjustable struts to raise ride height, rolled wing lips, inner wheel arch trimmed down and the body tub dished rather than flat. Its horrible when nearing full lock tho IE scrubbing and steering is v.heavy too but changing the 13" steering wheel to a 14" sorted that prob.... that said the ride is nice and sticks like doodoo to a blanket......  ;)

I have tried various reputable brands of tyres on the MGF wheels and the difference is night and day, nice soft sidewalls are a must on the lower profile tyres, avoid the stiff ones like run flats as you will be facing the way you came very easily......the 13" tyres with the 75/70/65 profiles benefit from stiffer sidewalls tho.

I would like to try the 16" wheels but suspect thats too far, trying to get some of those 14" MGF spare wheels for winter tho.... ;)

uksnatcher wrote:
Hugh, ta mate, if thats you in the new avitar....you need a shave  ;) Cute cool pooch BTW 8)

185/55/15 toyo proxies t1r fnt, 205/50/15 Avon zv3 rear.

WIMPUS, the 13" revolutions should just fit on no probs, you will need alloy wheel nuts tho,  no the MGF alloy wheels dont fit straight on, larger freelander studs all round with MGF wheel nuts, rears close but no rubbing issues and fitted adjustable shocks set hard, fronts involved stiffer 480lb springs, fully adjustable struts to raise ride height, rolled wing lips, inner wheel arch trimmed down and the body tub dished rather than flat. Its horrible when nearing full lock tho IE scrubbing and steering is v.heavy too but changing the 13" steering wheel to a 14" sorted that prob.... that said the ride is nice and sticks like doodoo to a blanket......  ;)

I have tried various reputable brands of tyres on the MGF wheels and the difference is night and day, nice soft sidewalls are a must on the lower profile tyres, avoid the stiff ones like run flats as you will be facing the way you came very easily......the 13" tyres with the 75/70/65 profiles benefit from stiffer sidewalls tho.

I would like to try the 16" wheels but suspect thats too far, trying to get some of those 14" MGF spare wheels for winter tho.... ;)

Wow thanks for the info , i have the wheel nuts to.
it is a set from rimmer ..
i have heard the rub against the suspension arm's at the front :s

4526 wrote:

it is a set from rimmer ..
i have heard the rub against the suspension arm's at the front :s

If you bought them new from rimmers designed and advertised for say a spitfire, they will fit a spitfire unless they are defective in some way so get them to sort it if they rub.
If you bought them s/hand that would be a differnt matter  :-/
Easy option is trial fit them before you have tyres fitted ?

uksnatcher wrote:

If you bought them new from rimmers designed and advertised for say a spitfire, they will fit a spitfire unless they are defective in some way so get them to sort it if they rub.
If you bought them s/hand that would be a differnt matter  :-/
Easy option is trial fit them before you have tyres fitted ?

hello ,

i have bought them new from rimmer , i havent got the time to pré fit them so ..
my spit is undergoing a restoration right now , this weekend cut the front crossmember from the chassis because it was so bad rotten ..
After the welding , i'm going to ad some new suspension (spax shocks ) and then we can fit them ^^ :o^

I like the 14" Maestro/Montego steels as I think they suit the car quite well, similar to the late style wheel but a bit bigger. Bought 4 in 97 from a scrapyard when they were quite sort after as people with metric-wheeled Montegos wanted them. Picked up another 4 on eBay around 2004 and then found another 2 by the side of the road. 4 were then sold on eBay for around £25, advertised in the Triumph section as suitable for Triumph, was surprised they did not go for more. They are fine with the early short hexagon nuts, but not the later ones with the round bit. I now have chrome nuts. Wheel centres trimmed round edges, holes drilled out to 20mm, little springs and their lugs removed. 5mm spacers and longer studs on back and a little bit of metal taken off the top of the shocks. By the way Rover 200 wheels don't fit.

Unfortunately you run out of space as the studs are close to the edges of the hubs. There's nothing out there with a smaller PCD. The next size up is Fiat which is 98mm. A lot of cars are 100mm, including VW, BMW, but I personally wouldn't want to move the studs out towards the edge of the hub like this. Some people may have done this though. Ford would be too big at 108mm. You used to be able to buy ally front hubs with Ford PCD, maybe something is possible at the back. Would add up to a lot of work though.

Early xmas gift to myself...  ;) Got some 14" MGF spare 'winter steels' to try out. Bit of haggling on ebay, got the set for 50 quid but had to goto Telford to pick up.

Errm....wow rimmers sell just the wheels new.......£105 each..!  ??)
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NAM7199PMN
( I better tell the insurance i am putting £600 worth of wheels n tyres on then....:) )

Offset on the steels is 28mm and i belive the correct triumph is 25mm on std 4.5/5j's so will 'stick out' an extra 3mm from standard but shouldnt be a problem for mine as the offset is 30+mm on the MGF alloys.
Also wheel stud holes seem quite large too at 14mm so probably need different 60 degree 12mm wheel nuts as the capped std alloy MGF nuts will bottom out on the longer freelander studs.

Fitted with 4x chunky new 175/65/14 Goodyear GT65 tyres rated at 82T (118mph and 475kg)
Not sure about the tyres quality, dont expect too much from them but should cut the rain/slush/snow ok.

I will post some pics when fitted, i think painted silver and black should look ok but might struggle with the triumph plastic center caps as i have the larger metric studs/nuts fitted.  :-/

I have got 2 of the 14" MGF spare wheels fitted to see what they look like after a rub down and paint.

4 pot calipers with vented discs and there is no clearance issues front (pic on full lock) or rear so a good option if anybody is thinking of doing the same.

B&W photos as my phone camera didnt like the sodium lighting in the garage.

I need to do the other two first... ;) :)

Offset is 28mm so sits further inwards than 13" stock 13/16mm steel wheels, but shows no clearance issues at all on my car, loads of room in the arches front and rear.

The drive will be steady eddie as the uprated front brakes will over brake the tyres and i am used to 205 rear tyres, but for a standard car look promising i think, the center caps wont fit without a degree of tinkering also.  

Hi everyone,

I'm actually using my husbands account. He's away till xmas eve so no chance of him finding out. I would really like to get him a set of alloys for his Spitfire, it's  a 1978. I've seen these ones but not sure if they would fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Stag-5-5x15-Wheels-x-4-Minilite-Design-NEW-/140521399146?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item20b7ba636a#ht_2912wt_1110

Archived