What wheels fit?

AngryBaldMan

Hi folks, this is my first post so be gentle!

I'm currently restoring a 1500, it's been abandoned in the garded of the cottage a the top of our drive for years. I just couldn't leave it there so tracked down the owner (not the owner of the cottage) and its now getting restored (to the best of my limited abilities)

My question is before I buy new tyres for the old steel wheels, what else fits?

Btw, I've already got it running and done all the welding and electrics, I'm not starting with the wheels!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can fit the same style wheel in 5 1/2j, so deeper dish. They do turn up, expect to pay about £25 a wheel upwards.
Alternatively there are alloys available new and secondhand, but the PCD is a little unusual. The only recent car to use it is the MGF and TF, not any other rover models. That gives 15" wheels, but you have to fit bigger studs and use the proper wheelnuts (in fact it is VERY important to use appropriate nuts for any alloy wheel, they have a much wider seat so they wont pull into the soft alloy)

Older wheel options from rover metro, though I suspect the offset is wrong, dolomite, again offset issues can be a problem, plus if you do decide on them the nuts are expensive. Maestro/montego and then marina/ital. But in all reality anything made for spit/herald/gt6/vitesse is what you are after.

In fact if you have got the 5j wheels (it should be stamped on them) then they work very nicely with 175/70 13 tyres. Probably the option I would go for. Honest.

All this talk about MG or Maestro/Montego wheels on a Triumph-come on, they look cr*p!

What about the option of fitting alloy TR7 wheels-look ok on a 1500 Spittie-relatively cheap as well. Triumph wheels as well!!!!

Otherwise fit the common placed Minilite reps or some nice Revolutions. Used to be available in 14'' sizes, now its 13'' or possibly 15''.

Fit quality tyres!!!!

I think these will also fit I spent a lot of time looking and asking questions about wheels a while ago and I found out these will fit ;)
they are also a lot cheaper than MGF alloys :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-TOMCAT-COUPE-216-218-220-TURBO-ALLOY-WHEEL-TYRE-185-55-R15-/320789919007?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab091b51f#ht_500wt_832
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-200-400-25-ALLOY-WHEELS-SET-4-RRC10331MNH-/290328677434?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4398f00c3a#ht_1909wt_1048

MikeyB wrote:
I think that you are correct Hugh, but like MGF alloys they are 15".  I need 14" and would prefer steels as they would look less out of place on the rally car!

You can get them in 14" also plus the spare is steel and some cars came with steel wheels if you go to car parts on ebay and put it Rover it will give you the models then go to 200 or 220 or 412 I am sure you know this anyhow jst thought I would tell you hoa I do it.  ;DThere are lots of steel and alloy wheels on there ;)

Good Hunting
Hugh ;)

cliftyhanger wrote:
Maestro/montego. I have one set, but they are hard to find these days :-/

These are the same as MGF spare wheels, more common. However, more expensive as they always seem to have a really old but unused tyre attached :o

MGF spare wheels are 14" and you can pick them up foe nout!

Andy

Archived