Advice Needed - Steel Wheels

Anthony

As I have a new (to me) set of wheels, I'm thinking about getting rid of my 4.5" steelies

But - should I get them refinished before doing so?

It'd cost me about £80-£100 to get them refinished properly

But would I recover this cost?
Is there any demand for the original wheels?
I'd imagine everybody has got a set of them hidden away somewhere anyway?

Cheers mate

Reckon I'll leave them as is then
I'd rather leave them than do a bad job for whoever owns them next

Is there any demand for 4.5s?

Should I put them on a well known auction site, or would it be worth taking them to a show and trying to swap them for some other parts?

i changed mine because it came with 3.5J's, which was standard on everything up to mk3 spit i think, and i assume heralds aswell. what type are they ? the early hubcap type or the oval hole ones ? i suppose somebody in my position with the 3.5js might want them, depends on what style. i wouldnt put oval holes on my mk3 spit, may not bother some people. i sold my 3.5J's, with pretty new cheapo tyres for 80 quid on ebay.

hopefully somebody might tell you what they're actually worth, depending on your use of the car, maybe a second set of wheels would be handy for winter/track ? i dunno, just thinking out loud.

I bought a full set of 4 4.5J Herald steels at Stafford last year, £40. When I needed a single one for my Gt6, Chic Doig charged me around £50. The price certainly varies but yes there are people looking for the wider wheels, you can only try your luck at selling them.

Hang onto them until you can replace them with others to your liking.
If you hit something in the road or otherwise trash a wheel, you'll have a spare to ride on.
FYI:  hitting a 4x4 piece of lumber in the road will ruin a wheel.

I picked up two sets of 4.5J steels FOC from two different people.. One went on my Dolly 1500, the other blasted/powdercoated and fitted to my Spit. They're worth keeping, even if not worth much, even if to give / swap with someone who needs them.

rotoflex wrote:
Hang onto them until you can replace them with others to your liking.....

I've got a set of 5.5" steelies, so these would just be taking up space

If I ever decided to 'show' my car would I be deducted for using 5.5" wheels?

Archived