Steel Wheels - Are These 5" or 5.5"?

Anthony

It will be stamped in the centre - 4.5J, 5J or 5.5J.  There was a second type of 5J that had a different offset to fit a Dolomite - these were used on the 1500SE and 1980-models.

Those look like 5.5J to me.  5J steels had the extra width on the back - the front looked similar to the 4.5J.

Thanks Steve

Yeah, I've seen them go for that price too!

I don't mind a bit of rust, I'm slowly making my way through a nut and bolt restoration so they're perfect

I'll probably be coming in my brothers van on Sunday
I'll have to check with him whether I can have it in the morning or afternoon, but chances are it'll be in the morning

Before 11:00 still ok with you?

I have a set of these and a set of the other Dunlop 5.5 wheels without the oval holes. I've had problems with both types rubbing the arches to varying degrees when fitted with 175 70 13 tyres. There fitted to a GT6 Mk2 and Spit Mk3. Next set of tyres will be 185 60 13. I think there's to much offset when fitted to these models, but had no problems when they were fitted to a Spitfire 1500 with the long half shafts some years ago.

Blue

Picked the wheels up this morning

I'm over the moon with them - Thanks Steve

For anybody else looking at identifying wheels in the future.....

The wheels have 5.5 stamped on the face of the wheel
The dunlop symbol is also stamped on the face

The rim itself is also stamped with the size
The part that's stamped is the inner face of the rim (the part you can't touch or see when the tyre is fitted)

You can tell with a ruler!
At least you can when the wheel have no tyres on.
The "5" means the distance in inches between the bead recesses just inside the rims.

To measure when there is a tyre on, without removing it, I made a giant pair of calipers out of some scrap wood and nails.   Bit of cardboard as a scale, calibrate it with a ruler.
Allow for the thickness of the wheel metal!
John

I haven't seen those deep TR6 ones around forsale in a while. (But I haven't looked). The "other" ones, you can fit them, yes, and I believe the usual suspects still sell them. (I think I got mine from Rimmers? How appropriate).
Since the offset's quite large they don't look completely natural on the 5.5's, but they're still pretty smart.

• 1 month later...

Anthony,
Thanks for the effort. Not all rubbish. Some are just fine. Last two are harder to read.
                                                                     Cheers,
                                                                     Paul

Archived